SS Drive Assistance for 2011 MBP. Anything better than 5400rpm!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cicatrix, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

Hi Mac folk. I need help with deciding on which SS drive to put into my 2011 Macbook Pro. I have been reading here about a ton of problems people are having with SS Drive installs and I'm friggin terrified! I want something faster than my dinky little 5400rpm drive, but it doesn't need to be the fastest. If someone could recommend a quality SS drive that is even marginally faster than my 5400 drive I would appreciate it. Only interested in SS drives. I actually have a 7200 travelstar in my pc laptop but I want an SS for the silence as well as the speed.

Thanks for you time, and attention!

2. acedickson, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011

acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

SSD don't have any moving parts so they have no RPM at all.

If you're concerned with the compatibility issues get a SATA II drive. They're still fast and have had less compatibility issues.

3. JamDonut macrumors member

OCZ Vertex 3

Intel 510

as for having a lot of problems with installing SSDs, they are replacement hard drives, but more physically stable and, of course you know, a lot faster. hope this helps somewhat :)

4. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

If reliability is your main concern, get an Intel 320

5. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for all of the great reply's! It sort of baffles me though, how so many people are having expectational performance with the Vertex 3, and for others it's nothing but horror stories.
    There's one more question that I should be searching for the answer to myself instead of asking but I am being lazy right now. So here go's just in case anybody is willing to answer. Would the heat be considerably less with an SSD over the 5400, or 7200 rpm drives? :)

6. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes, but only heat that was generated by the HDD. There is no changing the heat output from the CPU/GPU which has been the cause for concern for most folks. So the machine will run cooler, but your HDD isn't the main source of heat anyway. Less heat, however, is one of the laundry list of advantages of the SSDs over HDDs. Don't expect miracles though.

7. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm almost about to pull the trigger on an Intel 320 120gb drive. I think for the price, warranty, and known reliability it seems to be a good choice.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

That's the one I have. It's fully encrypted and rock solid. It seems better than my 1st and 2nd gen X25-M, if that makes any sense.

9. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

I almost about pulled the trigger on an Intel 320 120gb drive. Then I noticed the OCZ Agility 3, and the OCZ Solid 3. I have never heard of these before. Has anybody anything to say about these drives?

10. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info Eddyisgreat. That's great it's giving you better performance than your old X25-M.

11. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

Cheaper versions of the Vertex 3 that use "lower quality" flash in order to reduce costs. Performance is decreased as a result.

12. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Just pick up a Vertex 3 from a reputable seller to take advantage of the 2011 MBP's speed. The vast majority of people have no problems at all, and if you do, return it for another. The odds of 2 bad ones are extremely low. Transfer rate is almost double on some of the new SATA 6g drives over the older 3g models.