SSD and 7200rpm drives in MAcbook Pro 15" - Which in caddy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Category 5, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Category 5 macrumors member

Got a new blazing fast SSD and an optical drive caddy for a second 7200 rpm drive for audio files.

I noticed with the ssd in the original drive spot and the 7200rpm in the caddy the computer had a pretty noticable vibration. I also started to thing that the spinning disk crammed in that caddy might be more prone to shock and heat buildup.

So I swapped em.

Now the SSD boot drive is in the caddy and the spinning disk is in the original HDD spot.

I still feel some vibration but not as much I think. Also, the SSD seems as fast as it did before. Connection is still 6GB for SSD an 3GB for WD Black.

Questions....

Is there any performance disadvantage from using the optical bay for my main system disk (ssd)? IN other words, are both ports the same speed?

Is my thinking correct that the 7200rpm WD black is more secure and will run cooler in the orignal HDD spot (since the rubber shock mount and not as crammed)?

Should I leave the HDD ption sensor and "turn off disks to save power" enabled? I saw it was recommended to disable them in SSD tweaks.

THX!

BTW, the Vertex 4 M is the fastest drive I have ever witnessed. Way faster than my Crucial M4 and Intel 520. wow!

2. Category 5 thread starter macrumors member

Also. Noticing the drive doesn't seem to spin down in the main slot like it did in the caddy. Is this my imagination? If not is there anything I can do about it?

3. kiantech macrumors regular

You are correct. It is better to put the SSD in the caddy and keep the HDD in the original spot.

The SATA connectors are the same speed.

Also, when apple designed the computer they designed the HDD to go there. It makes a bigger difference than you think.

Enjoy your new setup. Good job recognizing the new vibration.

4. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

When you say 'caddy' do you mean Optical Drive replacement..??

And I would think either position would exhibit the same Vibration if it truly is the HD (assuming the mounting is done solidly and no parts missing I suppose) ** I was led to believe in mine (mid-2011 i7-2.2GHz) that the most useful position was the Original HD Replaced by SSD.. So I did that..

** Also, it will of course make a large difference WHAT you are using the HD for in day to day usage to see whether it is used much/ takes time to 'spin down'.. Much of my DATA-Apps-Documents does not require my HD ever to wake up seemingly.. When it does, I generally hear it.. :apple:

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The mounting in the HD bay is different there is rubber and that stops some frequencies.

It just depends on the year it is built. early-mid 2011 the caddy is worse because SATA 3 doesn't work or has been reported as buggy.
    Everything older and newer I would always put the SSD in the caddy and leave the HDD where it is supposed to be.

6. Category 5 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. Mine is late 2011. And yes, buy caddy I mean an optical bay HDD caddy. I got the one from Amazon for $11 and it fit perfectly, although the drive screws didn't line up so great. Seems to be working so far and the SSD is negotiated as 6Gb/s. Speed seems the same. I did start reading and saw all the reports of buggy optical 6Gb/s performance on early 2011 macbooks. I hope since mine is late 2011 i am outside the problem zone.

I use the machine for tracking live concerts so the 7200 rpm drive is just for recording the audio tracks. 24 of them. When I used a 5400 rpm drive I got occasional stuttering during playback. The WD Black is excellent for this task.

I still feel vibrations but I guess it's because the drive is 7200 rpm. The 5400 was hardly noticeable. I definitely prefer the spinning disk in the regular mount since it has rubber shock absorbers and plenty more air around the drive to dissipate heat.