SSD boot time update

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by ghostface147, Mar 4, 2018.

1. ghostface147, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018

ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

So many of us using High Sierra with a 3rd party SSD have been experiencing slow boot times, sometimes up to a minute. This is in comparison to around 20 seconds on Sierra and below. I had an issue where my machine could not see public or developer betas, so I wiped my machine clean and installed 10.13.3, updated to 10.13.4 dev beta (17E160e) and then enabled TRIM. My machine now boots up in about 30 seconds, which is markedly faster than before. While wiping and starting over from scratch may not be for everyone, it worked for me. YMMV and always backup!

2. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

There seems to be something missing from your version numbering..
    10.3 = Panther
    10.4 = Tiger

3. ghostface147 thread starter macrumors 68030

ghostface147

4. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

;) :D

5. adamh10 macrumors member

adamh10

Hm, strange.

I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) with the Apple-installed 2TB SSD, and after updating to 10.13.4 (Developer beta 4 released today), I have actually noticed my boot time significantly faster - much, much better performance. From the moment I push power to the login screen it's about 10 seconds, with an additional 10 seconds logging in and loading macOS.

My rig is found in my signature, but highlights are:

- CPU: i7 3.1GHz
    - RAM: 16GB
    - Storage: 2TB SSD
    - VRAM: RP 560 4GB + Intel HD 630 1.5GB
    - Official Apple P/N for custom MBP:

Anyway, perhaps it is with your specific solid state drive? I'm personally having much better performance like I mentioned, so perhaps make a Genius Bar appointment? Actually they'll likely just state that the dev beta 4 is unsupported right now and any issues are, "due to the beta software," as I'm sure you well know. So perhaps your next best option would be to try installing and utilizing an additional SSD other than your current one, instal macOS on it, and see how your performance is with the latest dev beta? I know this may not be feasible if you don't have another drive around, so pardon my ignorance in that regard, I'm just kind of pulling at straws for you as I'm a bit stumped given that my performance is astoundingly better - right when I thought boot time couldn't get any better.

Cheers