SSD Crucial M4 256gb vs Intel 320 Series 300gb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickdag, May 2, 2011.

1. nickdag macrumors newbie

Any opinions for my new SSD?
    Mid-2010 MBP13

Crucial M4 256gb
    vs
    Intel 320 Series 300gb

As far as I can see, I've gathered the following:

Intel:
    Slightly better track record (MTBF)
    More expensive
    Frequently backordered
    Slightly slower in most benchmarks than the Crucial
    Offers a Mac ISO for firmware upgrades

Crucial:
    I don't really know much about it...
    Bit cheaper than the Intel
    Bit faster
    Smaller capacity

While I'm here, I'll ask another question. I intend on doing a clean install on my SSD (as opposed to cloning my current drive). Do I need the upgrade kit? Or, can I order an OEM version (they're less frequently backordered)? Will I be missing any screws or cases or useful/vital instructions?

thanks,
    nick

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your MBP does not have the SATA III connection required to get the max performance out of the M4. Your MBP has only a SATA II connection, so even though the M4 would work it will not give you peak speeds shown in benchmark tests.

Look at the test at the top of this page that shows overall system performance. Note the M4 at a SATA II connection and the Intel 320 are about the same speed.

With the same performance and better price and reliability of the Intel, I hink Intel is your best choice.

3. nickdag thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Thanks for the fast response.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places (newegg, Amazon, Buy.com), but the Intel appears to be $50-100 more expensive than the M4.

Amazon & Buy.com are currently sold out (except for more expensive resellers) right now! Hope more come in stock soon.

-nick

4. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

No SATA III also means potentially no beach balls - so either should work fine. If I remember correctly, Micron makes the NAND chips that powers a lot of the SSD drives. Micron C400 = Crucial m4. So both are good choices.

5. JonasFalslev macrumors newbie

I just installed the Intel 320 (120 GB) and I must say that I'm amazed.. No set-up besides the TRIMenabler patch

6. nickdag thread starter macrumors newbie

OEM vs Retail

That's great news!

Did you get the OEM or Retail version? I'm ordering the OEM version, but I don't know if I'll be missing any screws or anything.

(I don't need the cables to clone my drive - I'm gonna migrate my data files using Time Machine.)

thanks,
    nick

7. gguerini macrumors regular

gguerini

I'm going to install my brand new Intel 320 (120GB) tonight. Should I "zero out" before I install the MacOS? Should I enable TRIM support??

Thanks

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

To intall in your MBP, the bare drive is all you need. There are four mounting nubby screws on the old drive you need to move to the new drive. Use a #6 Torx driver to remove them. Easy.

9. nickdag thread starter macrumors newbie

THAT was exactly what I was lookin' for. Thanks!

10. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

If the M4 is cheaper then go with it. The speeds on SATA II will be comparable.