SSD doesn´t boot anymore

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Puskalainen, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Puskalainen macrumors newbie

Hi.

I have a specific kind of problem. My Macbook Pro (mid 2012) doesn´t boot from my SSD. But it boots from the old mechanical HD. I made a clone from this old mechanical HD to my SSD and actually I can boot from this SSD when its plugged via USB.

I bought a this SSD like tree months ago and everything worked perfectly and I was very happy with it. One day we were streaming Netflix and paused it for getting something and when we came back the screen had went all blank. Since then this problem beginned. I could use as normal my old mechanical HD just put it back in the computer but the SSD didnt boot. I thought the SSD was damaged and I got a new one from warranty and the problem is still there.

I tryied diferent things like "option+cmd+r+p", "shift+ctrl+option+power"... I cannot boot the SSD but I can find it in the "recovery mode".

AnThis is an anoying problem. Anyone had similiar problems or has any good idéas I could try?

"Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500Gb"

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

It could be the ribbon cable that connects the internal drive to the motherboard.

These have a bad reputation for first becoming "flaky", then for failing altogether.

Check ifixit.com for a replacement. The repair is easy.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... sounds like a bad internal cable. I think what happens with these is the cable works okay with the HDD, but when faced with handling the much higher data transfer rates of the SSD, the cable takes a dirt nap.

4. Puskalainen thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe I need to change this cable. Theres is a number on it: "821-1480-A MFC: 2312". Is it important to have the exact same number on the new cable or is it enough with the first part of it? Because I couldn´t find the exact same number but several cables on amazon and ebay with 821-1480-A. Im not sure what these numbers mean.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

From looking at the Amazon listing, it appears that would be the correct cable.

6. Puskalainen thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi.

Thanks for the advica. Yesterday I got the new ribbon cable I ordered from ebay. Today my SSD and computer are working quite nice. It feels like my mac has an scar now and it doesnt work exactly as before. Its little bit slower in startup... but anyway Im very happy that I could change this cable. Thanks folks

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Glad you are all fixed up. On the slow startup... open System Preferences and in the Startup Disk pane select the new drive as the boot disk. If you don't do that, the system searches around for all available boot drives at start before finding the SSD. By selecting the SSD as the startup drive, the system won't need to do that search and it will boot faster.

8. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

There is a very good video of how (sometimes) to fix in the meantime until arriving of the new cable and
    how and WHY to PREVENT further disk-cable issues tha max possible…. it is really convincing and well-done:

9. Puskalainen thread starter macrumors newbie

The computer is working perfect. Lets hope it will continue to do so... Thanbks again