SSD for OS & Apps - How should I transfer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ryanschmidt, Dec 2, 2009.

1. ryanschmidt macrumors member

I have been thinking about this for awhile now but would love some advice on how to make this as easy as possible.

I would like to buy a 64gb SSD to hold my OS and Applications for performance. I have swapped out drives and transferred to new computers plenty of times using superduper or time machine. The issue here is that my current HD is like 10 times larger than the 64gb SSD drive.

Can anyone give some advice on how to just copy over the OS + Applications? Is this even possible without a reformat/reinstall of everything?

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I suggest reinstalling, it's much more idiot proof than copying the whole OS to a new HD. Apps you can migrate with Migration Assistant if you have Time Machine backup but I still recommend reinstalling them

3. ryanschmidt thread starter macrumors member

Reinstalling is not an option. I haven't done that in like 4 machines. No need.

I have thought of a possible choice. Use an external to offload everything above 64gb from my main drive. Then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone to the SSD. Presto!