ssd from my old '09 MBP to my new '10 MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by entatlrg, May 6, 2010.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I want to take my ssd from my old '09 13" MacBook Pro and put it into my new 2010 13" MacBook Pro. I don't mind reinstalling everything instead of cloning or installing from a backup.

Am I correct by doing the following steps?

1. Take my ssd drive from my old 13" MBP and put it in my new 13" MBP.

2. Power on the new MBP

3. Then insert the OSX disk that came with my new MBP and install on the SSD, (which will overwrite/delete the files and OSX from my old MBP, right?)

4. Then insert driver disk and install all drivers.

5. Next reinstall my software then reload files

Done.

Correct??

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You ought to be able to skip steps 4 and 5. There is no driver disc to speak of. Making sure the drive is properly seated and running through the newer MacBook Pro's install DVD #1 should do the job.

3. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Skip step 5?

Reinstalling OSX will wipe out my app's and files, so I'll have to reinstall everything unless I cloned my drive first, right??

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You don't need to reinstall anything. Remove drive from computer A, insert into computer B.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

@ Blue, the OP's '09 SSD isn't going to have the specific build of OS to know what to do with the updated processor and under-the-hood architecture changes Apple has made.

@ OP: That would be true, IF you were doing an erase & install. If you do a reinstall, formerly known as an archive & install preserving on 10.5 and earlier, which is the default option in 10.6, your files and non-Apple applications should be unaffected.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Possibly. I've never had trouble even cloning an OS from a MacBook Pro to an iMac, but it wasn't brand new.

7. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Pardon me if I'm confused, I want to be sure :)

- I put my ssd from my old MBP in my new MBP

- power on my new MBP

- Insert the OSX install disk from my new MBP.

- It will automatically install what it needs, while preserving my software and files on the hard drive? Even though it's going from a different model number '09 to '10? That's it? Sounds too easy.

I thought I'd have to install the ssd in the new MBP, erase it, reinstall the osx from the cd that came with the new machine, then reinstall all my software and then load up all my files from my external usb drive.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

9. acurafan macrumors 6502a

dude, if you're that scared about it, go buy a hdd and clone your ssd to the hard drive, then just put the hard drive in. then you'll know if it works!...or not without sacrificing your ssd data.

we can post yes/no 'theories' until the cows come home...i've never done it this way (or care to)...just say'n :rolleyes:

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

1) It's already backed up. Why buy another backup hard drive?

2) It will work.

11. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Exactly, I haven't done this with a Mac before, my experience is with Windows and things rarely go as smooth as the instructions.

I'm going to put my old ssd in the new mbp, put in new install disk, and hope my app's and files are still there when it's done .... if so ... it's another 'magical idea' by Apple and that's a good thing :)

Thanks everyone for the help.

12. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Update

Went smoothly, thanks everyone for the help.

I've swapped the hard drives no problem and am typing on the new 13" now.

It was mentioned above that after putting my old hard drive in the new machine that I should run the OSX install disk so my hard drive is updated to the spec's of the new machine.

Last question - I've put the CD in the drive but now do I select 'Install OSX' or 'Optional Installs', if Optional Installs then what option to I select. I want to preserve all my app's and files of course.

Thanks.

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Install OS X. I'm still not convinced that it's necessary, though. If it runs fine with no tampering...

14. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Thanks. I should probably recalibrate the screen though since the settings with be different for the new display, right?

Only glitch I can find is it shows Mobile Me 'never been sync'd' which is incorrect.

15. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It should be using the display's default calibration automatically, but my MacBook Pro's display came very poorly calibrated. Dark colours appeared almost black, and everything was so brown that it looked almost sepia tone. Happily, calibrating it myself sorted everything out, but that's seriously the worst out-of-the-box calibration I've ever seen.

16. dyn macrumors 68030

I tried and the machine didn't boot, it just sat there with this grey screen. You have to reinstall because 10.6.3 does not support the new MBP's. I think 10.6.4 will bring along support for the new Macs so people who are running 10.6.4 do not need to reinstall OS X. Unfortunately 10.6.4 has not been released yet.

17. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

And yet it's working fine for the OP. No need to mess with that which ain't broke.