SSD+HDD in MBP, want to disable HDD mount on boot / sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macshroomer, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

OK, so I have been running my 09 13" MacBook Pro with a Intel XM-25 160 as the boot in the stock HD position and a WD Black 500GB in an Optibay enclosure for about a year now, flawless performance, fast as hell.

But, one annoying thing I would like to address is the fact that both drives mount on startup or more to the point, after the machine is woken from sleep. On start up, the 500GB shows up on the desktop, not a big deal, I can just eject it. But when it it is awoken from sleep, the 500GB will start to spin even when the drive is not shown on the desktop.

Other things that wake it up are the opening of disk utility and system profiler.

Is there a command I can type to change this from occurring? I can live with it on boot but sleep is annoying as heck...

2. wct097 macrumors 6502

Very interested in this topic as well. I'm relatively sure you could put together a script to mount/eject the drive to force it to spin back down after sleep. I don't have much experience on the Mac yet, so hopefully someone can pipe up and offer a solution. Even an executable script that I can hang on the Dock would suffice.

I certainly never envisioned that OS X would be this clunky to deal with.

3. Macshroomer thread starter macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

If 500GB SSD's were cheaper, I would just stick one of those in there and be done with it...:)

4. steean macrumors newbie

Ah, this tread is right up my alley (if I'm allowed to say..). I tried to get an answer to something similar in another tread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1134238), but to no avail. I guess I can live with the optical bay HDD spinning up at power-on, but like you are saying, the disk spinning up at wake from sleep and sometimes all randomly during normal use, EVEN though the one (and only) partition on the disk is deactivated, is quite annoying.

I was reading somewhere about editing /etc/fstab (the unix way) to prevent osx from mounting at boot-time. I haven't tried this though, and I am wondering, if at all possible, will it also prevent osx from remounting on wake-up...?

If someone could shed some light on this, you will have my most earnest appreciation:D

5. bamf macrumors 6502

If you want to just not see it on the desktop, you can put a "." in front of the name of the volume. I hide my BootCamp partition as ".BootCamp" that way.

Now that doesn't actually fix the issue of the drive spinning up though...