SSD+HDD on Mac- what should stay on SSD, what should go to HDD ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Matthew Barkle, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Matthew Barkle macrumors newbie

Hi,

going to install SSD and replace dvd-drive with the second HDD on my MacBook,

Can anybody give me advise - should i move some 'special' system files to HDD, in order to improve reliability and life duration of SSD ?

Thank you in advance !

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You should just use a few Terminal commands and fuse the drives together in a Fusion Drive setup.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Ssd - os plus apps
    Hdd - bulky files (iTunes library and photos) and file accessed less offen.

4. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

File location won't have any impact upon reliability, and the lifespan of an SSD is far beyond the lifespan of your MacBook. The only reason for moving stuff elsewhere is limited storage space.

The family mini is SSD+HDD. I run a tight ship, but the other three users are completely useless at housekeeping. I use the HDD for all iTunes media, for 'archival' of photographs, and for iPhone backups. The latter requires a bit of tinkering with symbolic links.

Mavericks, a bunch of apps including a big Adobe CS installation, and 4x (mostly) messy user accounts totals around 160GB. If you slap a ~250GB SSD in there then it'll most likely be sufficient, unless you're producing audio/video. In which case you can keep your DVD drive.

5. Android300zx macrumors regular

6. Matthew Barkle thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you guys for useful answers,

just another question - does it make sense to move swap to HDD or with Fusion Drive i should not bother with that ?