ssd in main bay. OEM HD in optibay. OEM super drive in external sata. bootcamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teddat, Apr 26, 2011.

1. teddat macrumors member

teddat

So I have a ssd in the main bay. HD in optibay. Superdrive in a external enclosure.

I used bootcamp assistant to partition the HD to a 30GB bootcamp partition. I insert a win 7 dvdrom into external enclosure, bootcamp assistant restarts for me to install win 7 but it just sits there after reboot.

I tried installing win 7 on a bootcamp partition on the SSD and the HD. and both sit there after the restart.

Any ideas? I'm stumped!

2. LuckyLoki macrumors newbie

Sounds like the computer still thinks your DVD-Rom is connected and is checking for your Installation DVD, only to find your OEM HD sitting in the optibay. Upon restart, press the option key (when you hear the bell chime). You should see the option to load from your external DVD enclosure.

3. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I've read many posts(Im sorry that i couldnt find you any i just dont have the time right now maybe later) saying that the only way to get windows running is to put the Superdrive back in for the installation and after the installation, just take it back out again.

Edited: Just read LuckyLoki's post. That might work. Im not sure

4. johnnj macrumors 6502a

That's what I had to do. Kept getting the black screen with blinking cursor otherwise. Never had to do that with any of my previous machines that had two hard drives.

5. j.castle macrumors newbie

Bootcamp (=Macbook) can't install Windows from external USB (neither Superdrive or USB flash drive) (This is due to restrictions at Mac EFI).

This is what ended up doing. I have SSD in main bay and HD in optibay.
    1. I made a Bootcamp partition to my HD.
    2. I cloned my SSD with CarbonCopyCloner to my HD.
    3. Removed SSD from mainbay and put my HD in mainbay and put the Superdrive into it's normal place.
    4. Installed Windows through Bootcamp to HD at mainbay.
    5. Removed Superdrive and put back my HD in optibay and SSD in mainbay.
    --> Now I have a Bootcamp installed Windows on my HD at the optibay.

6. teddat thread starter macrumors member

teddat

Wow thanks guys.. I thought it was an issue with my setup.

ya, holding down option doesn't solve it. I've tried everything except for j.castle's. I'll try that later and report back. thanks again everyone.

7. uplusd macrumors 6502

Did you delete the cloned files on the HD after finishing the process?