SSD in main drive, stock7200 HD to Optibay ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Beethree, May 19, 2011.

1. Beethree macrumors newbie

Will the stock drive do OK there? Or do I need to think about getting a Momentus or something else with SMS?

2. Beethree thread starter macrumors newbie

Everything ordered to do this to my 2011 macbook pro (15" 2.2) :

Mercury Extreme 6G SSD 240 gig in the main drive bay.
    WD Scorpio Black 7200 500 gig with shock protection in the Optibay.

MAYBE at some point in the future I will stick a SATA II drive in the Optibay.

Anyone care to talk me out of this?

SSD will have OS and apps. HHD will primarily contain large piano sample libraries for streaming, and audio files for multitrack recording projects. I have an older macbook that will continue to be the family entertainment laptop, so no need for anything like that.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Last time I checked, the WD Scorpio Black is already a SATA2 drive. 3.0Gbps.

4. Beethree thread starter macrumors newbie

OOPS.....meant to say SATA II SSD............

5. DennyMac macrumors newbie

I recently bought a 2011 MBP 13 inch 2.2 i5. I immediately upgraded the ram to 8 GB. Today I installed an OCZ Vertex III 120 GB ssd in the primary drive bay and installed a Western Digital black 7200 rpm, 750 GB HDD in the Optibay. Everything is working perfectly so far with no problems. I use the laptop mainly for programming android and iphone apps and for general business use.

I'll use the laptop heavily for about a week and report back how things are going with the upgrades.

6. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

How's this setup going? I'm thinking of getting a 2011 MBP and installing a 256Gb Crucial M4 SSD in the primary rive bay and a 500 or 750Gb Western Digital Scorpio Black in the Optibay, so my proposed setup is similar to yours.

Do you know if the WD Scorpio Black model you use has built-in shock-protection, as I understand that lack of shock protection (Sudden Motion Sensor) is potentially one of the main problem with putting a hard drive in the optibay, unless you use a drive that has built-in shock protection. Thanks!