Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Budiosx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
i have cmbp 2012 high end model and there is a sale on SanDisk Ultra plus 256gb SSD at price of samsung 840 pro 128gb, is it a good drive? wait or buy?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
i have cmbp 2012 high end model and there is a sale on SanDisk Ultra plus 256gb SSD at price of samsung 840 pro 128gb, is it a good drive? wait or buy?

I'm not able to comment on the SanDisk, but I can vouch for the Samsung and say that it's a great drive. I have 4 of them in various computers and haven't had any issues with them.

Budiosx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
please close the thread as i thought its macbook pro section

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
it should do fine, its a good controller, however that capacity is off, to function properly that controller needs at least 480gb

Budiosx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012

i checked your link and compared sandisk with samsung 840 256 ,samsung is a little better in write speed in all write tests and power consumption.
sandisk scored around 20000 IO/s in IOMeter 4K Random Reads Benchmark
ver. 2006.07.27 , samsung scored 73000 IO/s
what you think?, are these numbers really affect total performance (coding,photoshop,illustrator,HD movies,gaming,long usage)?

----------

it should do fine, its a good controller, however that capacity is off, to function properly that controller needs at least 480gb

but if you check the sandisk ultra plus web page there is no 480/500/512 gb option :D

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
From what I have read, the Sandisk Ultra Plus is the 'value' drive in the Sandisk range of SSDs and uses the Marvell SS889175 controller.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6553/sandisk-ultra-plus-ssd-review-256gb

Then there is the the Sandisk Extreme (old model with Sandforce controller).

The new 'performance' model is the Sandisk Extreme II using the Marvell 88SS9187 controller (same controller as Crucial M500).
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7006/sandisk-extreme-ii-review-480gb

You might have to search for some application based benchmarks to see if it's worth spending the extra money.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
i checked your link and compared sandisk with samsung 840 256 ,samsung is a little better in write speed in all write tests and power consumption.
sandisk scored around 20000 IO/s in IOMeter 4K Random Reads Benchmark
ver. 2006.07.27 , samsung scored 73000 IO/s
what you think?, are these numbers really affect total performance (coding,photoshop,illustrator,HD movies,gaming,long usage)?

I dunno which SSD drives are "best" for that price but yes, the benchmarks offered there are very useful in determining real-world performance. Primarily because there are so many different kinds benchmarks offered. Find the one or two stats which relate or seem to relate to the real-world use you wanna know about.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Can someone please provide me with a link to a 512GB SSD for the 13" 2011 MBP with i7 stock processor? Wanting to replace the internal with the SSD (I still want to keep my DVD drive).

Thanks!

Budiosx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
From what I have read, the Sandisk Ultra Plus is the 'value' drive in the Sandisk range of SSDs and uses the Marvell SS889175 controller.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6553/sandisk-ultra-plus-ssd-review-256gb

Then there is the the Sandisk Extreme (old model with Sandforce controller).

The new 'performance' model is the Sandisk Extreme II using the Marvell 88SS9187 controller (same controller as Crucial M500).
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7006/sandisk-extreme-ii-review-480gb

You might have to search for some application based benchmarks to see if it's worth spending the extra money.

after research i think this drive is slow and old, i will wait for getting 500 gb ssd at reasonable price.
sata 3 offers 768MB/s and i want drive at this speed,is it available?

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
after research i think this drive is slow and old

Which drive are you referring to?

i will wait for getting 500 gb ssd at reasonable price.
sata 3 offers 768MB/s and i want drive at this speed,is it available?

If you are waiting for 768MB/s SATA-3, you are in for a long wait.

SATA-3 is 6Gb/s or 6000 Mb/s, but that is the raw bitrate including overhead, so you will never get a SATA-3 drive that can transfer your data at that speed - sata-io.org mention a "theoretical" maximum throughput of ~600 MB/s.

If you want a fast SATA-3 SSD with a good reputation for reliability, then get a Samsung 840 Pro.

Or, if you want something faster in a MBP, then you will need to wait for new rMBP models which are likely to include pci-e flash storage.

Most people find that a slightly slower SSD makes no difference that they could ever notice without benchmarking. I'm probably going to get the Crucial M500, but most of the drives mentioned in this thread should be a big improvement over any spinning disk.

The Samsung 840 (non pro) appears to be a popular choice. I'd prefer to let others beta test the TLC NAND drives like the 840, but I'm probably being overly cautious.

Budiosx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Which drive are you referring to?

If you are waiting for 768MB/s SATA-3, you are in for a long wait.

SATA-3 is 6Gb/s or 6000 Mb/s, but that is the raw bitrate including overhead, so you will never get a SATA-3 drive that can transfer your data at that speed - sata-io.org mention a "theoretical" maximum throughput of ~600 MB/s.

If you want a fast SATA-3 SSD with a good reputation for reliability, then get a Samsung 840 Pro.

Or, if you want something faster in a MBP, then you will need to wait for new rMBP models which are likely to include pci-e flash storage.

Most people find that a slightly slower SSD makes no difference that they could ever notice without benchmarking. I'm probably going to get the Crucial M500, but most of the drives mentioned in this thread should be a big improvement over any spinning disk.

The Samsung 840 (non pro) appears to be a popular choice. I'd prefer to let others beta test the TLC NAND drives like the 840, but I'm probably being overly cautious.

I'm referring to sandisk ultra plus.

You mean that sata 3 ssd will disappear in the near future duo to limitation on speed !

I will use the ssd in the main bay only so the size will be a problem after that the price.
I will use bootcamp win7 for gaming only and mac for work and main stuff.

----------

If you compared samsung 840 basic & pro side by side you will see the difference

migelprado

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
Sandisk Extreme is a good choice than the latest Ultra plus. I am currently having issue with the Ultra plus which uses other controller than sandforce. To me Sandisk Extreme is quite fast & reliable. If you needs are the same then I would surely suggest this. currently 500GB on a SSD will be highly expensive and you will surely be risking your money if you do not give a thought to the controller used in these SSDs.

Last edited:

paul-n

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
SATA 3 or SATA 6 Gb/s works with 10/8 coding which means it can transport up to 600 MB/s which ends up with around 550 MB/s.
SATA 6 Gb/s will be replaced as high performance link in 2014/2015 but the new standard isn't finished yet. The current SATA will stay many years, because other devices like HDD don't need more.
The Sandisk drives are fine but I personally prefer more the Samsung drives, like 840 Pro (super fast) or 840 (budget).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.