SSD speeds at 3g speeds instead of 6g speeds on my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doobybiggs, Jul 3, 2012.

1. doobybiggs, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

doobybiggs macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

I have an early 2011 MBP I looked here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro

says I should get 6GBs on my hard drive. I got a new ADATA SP900 and the speeds are horrid! I have attached the picture below ...

I should be getting somewhere around ...
    Read : Up to 550MB/s
    Write : Up to 505MB/s

I am not even getting half that ... I am getting 3Gbps speeds is the wiki link wrong on their info?

Attached Files:

2. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

I looked at my hardware stuff ... it says it is 6g capable, but yet it wont produce it.

I looked for firmware on adata site and did not find any to download ...

any thoughts? :confused:

Attached Files:

3. Vege-Taco macrumors member

Vege-Taco

Those are pretty much identical speeds I'm seeing on my new iMac's SSD.

4. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

this is ridiculous ... my PC gets more than double those speeds ..

5. mattonthemoon macrumors regular

mattonthemoon

Something's definitely wrong. My early 2011 had a vertex 3 ssd installed in the main SATA bay and I was getting the expected speeds...

Since you are negotiated at 6GB/s are you sure there isn't anything wrong with the SSD? Are you able to swap it out?

6. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

Forgive me if this answer is wrong;

I believe the problem is with the controller on the SSD, not the Mac. SandForce controller is used in the ADATA SSD you are inquiring about; the marketing material specifically notes the speed's using compressed information, this is causing the speed difference, as you are working with uncompressed data, it's a dirty marketing ploy.

( however I might be right out to lunch ) but this is what I gathered from some reading.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/vertex-3-sandforce-ssd,2869-3.html

Above is an explanation about the controller compressing the uncompressed data before pushing though the "pipeline" if you are using compressed data already, the SSD skips this compression step and works that much faster.

7. pepatrick macrumors member

I am running a Corsair Force GT 256 on my work provided early 2011 MBP. It is much better, but nothing like Samsung 830 on the my new 2012 MBP. 2011 early MBP getting 200 +- on the writes and 450 +- on the reads.
    2012 MBP getting 390+- on the read and 495+- on the reads.

8. oLNutjob macrumors member

oLNutjob

There is possibly an issue with the early 11 pro's (maybe later, too) that few know about or the momShip fails to acknowledge.

I'm willing to bet FW800 & USB are horribly slow on large file transfers, too. My '08 non-unibody MBP gobbled files 2X as fast as the new one.

(Also: I never realized usb2 was so fast till I migrated data to a PC.)

9. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

does not surprise me ... it works perfect with my PC and then this MBP just kills its performance.

10. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

Because your PC is running NTFS Compressed format I suspect, the drive dose not have to compress the data before moving it around like it would on the Mac.

11. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

So then is it even worth having an SSD in there? I mean I was getting speeds just a little slower than that in my HDD I had in there before ...

12. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

You may just need to try flashing the firmware to find a version that works best for your Mac mate.

Personally I would skip over most SSD's in favour of the ones Samsung makes 830's are fabulous !

13. SmittS macrumors regular