Computer Specs: Early 2011 17 Inch MBP 2.3 GHZ Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53) No software updates available Serial-ATA Device Tree: -Intel 6 Series Chipset -- Product - 6 series chipset -- link speed - 6 gigabit -- negotiated link speed - 3 gbit -Intel 6 Series Chipset -- Product - 6 series chipset -- link speed - 6 gigabit -- negotiated link speed - 6 gigabit Hard Drive Specs Samsung SSD 830 (MZ-7PC512N) 512 GB SATA 6 Gb/S Latest firmware from: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-7PC512N/AM Optical Bay Drive Holder Specs MCZ Tech OptiBay http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/ Problem: When I install my SSD in the Optical Bay, I'm unable to format and use the drive. I have two of these SSD's and I plan to copy my existing MBP hard drive to one of the SSD's and then run two 512 GB SSD's in my MBP. The SSD comes with a USB cable so I tested both drives with the cable. I can format both drives. Move files around. Restart and they still work. I started by putting one of the SSD's in the Optical bay to test it out and ultimately clone my existing HD to the SSD quickly. When I restart it says the drive needs to be initialized, even though it already was. If I try to format the drive it gets half way and just sits there without doing anything. I've let it sit for quite some time and nothing happens. If I keep retrying eventually I can get the drive to format and work. I can move files too and from the drive but when I restart the computer, the drive is gone and needs to be initalized again. I found Samsung has updated firmware so I had a coworker update the drives on his PC as that's the only way to do it. I then installed the drive back in my MBP and I have the same issue with the drive not initializing properly. I've cleared the Pram 5 times in a row and nothing changed. I even rebooted into some disk mode and tried formatting their, but that didn't work either. This is true for both drives I own. I have not tried moving the SSD to the primary HD bay and don't plan to do so until I can properly back up the drive. I checked the OS X Software update and I'm all up to date as far as I'm aware. I do not know how to check my MBP Firmware and I'm not sure if this is something I need to do. Has anyone experienced this issue and have any solutions?