SSD without TRIM support in MBP's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by syan48306, Feb 26, 2011.

1. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

So it's well known that 10.6 does not have trim support and that 10.7 will. That has not stopped apple and hoards of people from adopting SSD's in MBP their mbp's.

My question is how much of a degradation of performance do you see over time. Also if you were to buy a SSD now, run it w/o trim for months, format + upgrade to lion which has trim support, will it run at 100% like it was brand new out of the box at that time?

From what I understand about SSD and trims that should be the case but I just want to get a second on that.

2. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

I apologize for not having an answer, but this was seriously the question I was thinking of posing last night...

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

From what I have gathered, performance doesn't degrade all that fast, plus a lot of the SSDs actually have similar algorithms programmed into their firmware, so I doubt it would be too noticeable

4. KPOM macrumors G5

I have had my MacBook Air since November 2010 and it still benchmarks the same as it did when I got it. Considering that Lion will be out in 6 months or less, I wouldn't worry too much about performance degradation. The newer drives have decent garbage collection, which somewhat compensates for the lack of TRIM support.

My previous MacBook Air (late 2008) did degrade somewhat over two years, but it wasn't exactly a speed demon by SSD standards even when new. Still, it did reboot pretty quickly even at the time I sold it. I didn't try one of the "recondition" programs since I was already getting my new Rev D.

5. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I've had an SSD in my MBP 2007 running SL for over half a year without any change in performance whatsoever. I'm not sure if it makes a difference that it is an Intel SSD.

6. syan48306 thread starter macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Right, okay. As for the other thing, a full and complete format and an install of Lion should recondition the drive back to 100% right?

7. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

Interesting question, I've wondered that before myself. In any case, I'm planning to wait until 10.7 before I upgrade to an SSD just because I'm hoping the vertex 3 will have dropped in price by then.

8. syan48306 thread starter macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Yeah, I want to jump on the vertex 3's right as they come out but I don't want to mess it up by running it w/o trim support for several months.

9. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

You won't mess it up without TRIM. There have been too many articles (for lack of a better term) freaking consumers out with performance degradation. You literally will have to work to degrade the performance of an SSD to a noticeable amount. You may or may not see differences on benchmarks of course, however real world, even degraded they remain far faster than mechanical drives. Garbage collection has done wonders as well, so basically just using a quality SSD you'll be just fine, TRIM or not.

10. syan48306 thread starter macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Right, but bottom line, if you were to do a full reformat and an install of Lion, it should return back to 100% right?

11. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Not exactly. You'd have to do a secure erase through either a utility in Windows, or Terminal in any distro of Linux. I wouldn't worry about performance degradation, though, to be honest. Unless you constantly have your SSD full (which is bad for regular HDDs too, by the way), you won't ever notice any slowdown, except for MASSIVE file transfers, and even that won't show up for months or years, depending on how you use your computer.

12. starmelts macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for some very valuable information in this thread (I was newbie enough to "bump" it, received a warning, and would like to apologise for that).

Will probably buy a new 17" MBP next week, and it does look like SSD is the way to go for me - regardless of the lack of TRIM support.

13. chengjie macrumors newbie

Trim support is essential for windows. Compare to windows, linux and mac osx has way better garbage collecting algorithm. Don't worry about the slow down. I doubt anyone will notice any speed difference without any special tool.
    I been using my vertex 2 SSD in my macbook for almost a year already, and I don't notice any slow down (I download and delete big chunk stuff very frequently weekly), my macbook can still boot to desktop in 17 sec and open up office powerpoint or xcode like seconds.

14. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

I've had an OCZ Vertex 2 for about 8 months now. I've noticed no slow down at all. I actually timed my bootup and applications with the new air and beat it in every test. No, this isn't a scientific test, but its still faster then the airs SSD even after 8 months of use.

15. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Be careful with sandforce based drives like the vertex 2 as you loose hibernation.