St. Louis Mayor Wins Idiot of the Year Award

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Jan 14, 2009.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, with us only 2 weeks into the new year, even though there are 50 more left to go, I can declare that St. Louis mayor is the biggest moron of 2009.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=164809&catid=3

So, he's going to make parking free downtown to make it easier for you to drive to bars and so you'll have more money to buy drinks.

I work downtown and drive to work. It's bad enough dodging pedestrians who think it's a smart idea to jump out in front of a moving car. Now I have to dodge drunks who've had one too many. Yay.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Alright, I wouldn't say that he's the biggest idiot of the year. But seriously WTF?

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. This one really left me scratching my head trying to figure out the logic that went into this decision.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Here's the logic:

St. Louis City becomes a ghost town after 5 p.m., with the exception of about one street, and excluding game nights (St. Louis Cardinals baseball and Blues hockey).

By eliminating the need to pay for parking during *dinner time* (and the hour or so between quitting time and dinner time), it might just serve to keep people downtown longer, or serve to bring in people, thereby helping to revitalize downtown and bring added (tax) revenue to the city.

I see nothing wrong here, aside from the unfortunate name: happy hour parking.

6. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, I guess it's just the name that's unfortunate. And KSDK updated the article, but before, it said something along the lines of "People going downtown can now save their change for the meter to spend on drinks" which just made it sound really bad. You're right, it is a good idea to help revitalize downtown, but it's just terrible wording.

And the city is a ghost town all day ;) It's certainly not as busy as other downtown areas in other cities.

7. gotzero macrumors 68040

Brings revenue to the businesses from increased patronage, and revenue to the municipal for increased DUI stops...

I do think terms like "designated driver" should be included a little more in the proposal.

[The economist in me wants to mention that free parking spaces would make them fill quickly, and probably not be a true cost savings when time is factored in.]

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

That is what is puzzling me too. These people get to park free, spend loads of money on drinks, and then what? Drive home? It almost seems like this law is promoting the idea of driving while drunk. Terrible idea.