St. Louis, MO (West County)

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by jobsfnby, Jun 18, 2010.

1. jobsfnby macrumors regular

Anyone going to stand in line?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in line but I was wondering if anyone else has been in line for previous iPhone launches? If so, how do they deal with the mall closing and people still waiting in line? Do some doors stay open with security there in case people come at midnight to camp out? When do people start lining up for the launch?

Hopefully someone can answer my questions.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. ipaddyo macrumors newbie

I'm hoping to.

I was wondering the same thing. I doubt that the mall would be open all night and they probably would not allow camping unless you hid in a dark corner somewhere, so I'm just planning on getting there early. They probably won't even open the mall until 7 so work on your cardio.

Let me know if you find anything out.

Good luck

3. jobsfnby thread starter macrumors regular

Hopefully they'll let you in if you tell them your there for the iPhone 4. I wonder what they'd do with other customers who are already in line when the mall closes?

4. verniesgarden macrumors 6502a

verniesgarden

I was planning on standing in line as well. But really have no idea when to be up there. would the galleria store be less hectic?

I'm just mostly concerned if they have the white iphone or not. Cause i think if you are are in line at "butt-crack in the A.M." you'll secure an iPhone. I was able to get my friend's black iPhone on preorder, but as I want the white, I'm left in the dark with every one else.

5. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Have fun, everybody! I'd be going to West County if I were at home, but I'm in FL at the moment. I'd have picked it over the Galleria simply because the WC store's quite a bit bigger and I'd imagine that it would better accommodate hordes of people. I've only been to the Galleria store once but I was all but claustrophobic when I was there due to the people being so crammed in, and that was just on a random day in the middle of the week, not for a launch.

I don't know if they'll let you stay overnight; I'd be very inclined to think that no, they won't. The mall doors open pretty early as a general rule, though, for mall walkers. I worked at that Bath & Body Works when I was in school and there were almost always dozens of walkers already chuggin' away when I showed up to work at 7 am.

6. jobsfnby thread starter macrumors regular

Isn't the store supposed to open at 7?

Hopefully they'll have the white model in stock, if not it's gonna suck waiting in line only to find out there's no white available.

7. verniesgarden macrumors 6502a

verniesgarden

I won't be surprised if they pull that stunt

8. ipaddyo macrumors newbie

I just called the Apple store. They said they have no information on when the white will be available. They said they will have stock for walk-ins and from what the person who I talked to knew, it will be all black.

9. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

In regards to the Galeria store: I don't mean to sound snobby but the people who are at the West County store are much better to be around. It's a better area.
    I waited at the galleria once and this people are not nice. They swear and smell and dress badly :(
    I know that West county opens before 7 because I was in line at 6:30 for the iPad and there were several people already there. I think that they open at 6.

10. ipaddyo macrumors newbie

So you got there at 6:30? Did you get an iPad? Obviously that's not the same as an iPhone, but I was hoping to judge from that. About how many people were in line before you?

Also, since you have previous Apple store launch experience, how do they manage the line? Do they give out tickets to the people waiting so you have a good idea if you will get one?

Sorry for the ridiculous amount of questions, but as far as the reserved line/walk-in line goes, how does the flow work? When were you out of the mall after you either got your iPad or found out that you weren't getting one?

11. Azariah80 macrumors member

I'll be at the AT&T store in wentzville pretty early like 4 or 5. And possibly the steak n shake right down the road before.

12. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

1. How many people were there? at 6:30 maybe 5 in reserve 3 in walk-in
    2. Did I get one? I reserved it so yes.
    3. Tickets? No, but if you're far back in the line and they do not have many they tell you that you may not get the model that you want.
    4. The iPad launched at 8 I was out at 8:05 for iPAd. The iPhone took longer because of AT&T. I was not first in line then but it took 20 minutes because of activation hang-ups. It shouldn't take that long if you are there early.

13. ipaddyo macrumors newbie

Great. Thanks for the advice!

14. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

If you have any other questions you should pm me. I may not check this thread anymore.

15. verniesgarden macrumors 6502a

verniesgarden

so a real question is... after they get the iPhone, who's going to be calling other people they were in line with to try facetime out?

16. Apple163 macrumors member

iPad opening day was very smooth for reservations

For the :apple:West County store I arrived 30 minutes before the store opened and spent 20 minutes in line before I was brought into the store. I did have a reservation. It was a great experience but I am expecting a much longer line and wait for the iPhone 4 rollout. None the less I am hoping for another great time.

17. peacefulfire macrumors newbie

Guys,

I inquired at the West County Apple store. Here is some info I got:

- Apple Store will open at 7:00
    - They will let people in at 6:00 (Not sure about this one)
    - Best Entrance is the one near by CPK

Anybody planning to reach there a night before or early in the morning before mall opening, please leave message here. What time? Where?

Cheers,
    Peacefulfire

18. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I might get there around 6. How will camping out at the mall work?

19. peacefulfire macrumors newbie

Not sure - but If I end up reaching before mall doors are open, I am thinking to queue outside at the entrance near B&N/CPK.

Then again, still trying to figure out how early I need to be there to get the White iPhone if they do end up having limited stock.

20. pbcrazyboy macrumors member

I just called the apple store at the west county mall. First time, someone said the mall doors open at 5 and apple opens at 7. Second time, they said don't even wait in line on Thursday because the people waiting in line are only there because they made reservations. It will be available on Friday on a first come basis. I'm not sure which one to believe...

21. jobsfnby thread starter macrumors regular

Hopefully it's the first one. I would imagine they would have enough people there for a pretty big line. I got my iPad 3G at the launch and when I got there around 2:30 on that Friday I think it was, there were a good 30-40 people in line. By the time of launch the line had doubled or tripled about.

22. ipaddyo macrumors newbie

2:30 in the morning? Do I really need to get there then if I want to get a black one?

23. peacefulfire macrumors newbie

Which mall entrance did people queue at that early in the morning? (assuming 2:30am)

24. verniesgarden macrumors 6502a

verniesgarden

no white

I'm getting word from a friend that works at the store that there won't be any white iPhones, and that they may be turning everyone away that doesn't have a reservation. basically saying "queue up friday, unless you want white, then you are just boned"

25. jobsfnby thread starter macrumors regular

Woah...not 2:30 am...2:30 PM

i went to the store around 2:30 PM. I think the 3G model launched at 3 pm on that day. Whatever time it was the store shut down for a half hour to get ready for the iPad 3G launch and i got there about an hour before they started letting people back in to buy their iPads. Half an hour before they went on sale the line doubled or tripled because so many people expected to come at the last minute. Even thought there were a lot of people i got in and out in about half an hour and that includes waiting for the 30 or so people in front of me. They must have had about 10-15 workers just working with the launch.

Since the iPhone 4 is launching at 7 i don't think there will be much of a problem with crowding in the store since almost everyone will only be there for the iPhone. The only thing that will take some time will be the activation with AT&T. Hopefully about 50 people or so will be able to get in smoothly before their servers start to get overwhelmed.