Stages of Grief

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Nov 9, 2016.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm not quite sure where I am on the Kúbler-Ross model right now. I'm going with "bargaining" and hoping to avoid "depression."

One thing I can take away from this: Polls are pretty much garbage. Nate Silver was wrong. The New York Times was wrong. The AP was wrong. I was wrong. The only person who got it right was H.L. Mencken when he wrote:

Make no mistake about this: This is an unprecedented, unambiguous disaster for the United States. I am all but certain the US will slip into a recession. We are looking at a serious stock market correction. Starting today.

I'm not moving to Canada. I'm not joining the armed revolutionaries.

The one person I feel worst for is Barack Obama. After all he's done for this country, this has to be a bitter, bitter pill to swallow. It seems all but certain that the ACA is history. God only knows what this means for abortion rights and the tens of millions of undocumented. Selfishly I could say that doesn't affect me that much, but that's little comfort.

Hillary Clinton was a flawed candidate. Damn it, she tried so hard, her entire life. But she just didn't connect with people the way a winning Democrat has to.

Maybe this counts as "acceptance", but the one thing I can take comfort from is this: The United States is a strong country, with robust institutions. We will still have smart, intelligent people working in our State Department. At the Treasury. In the military and Justice Departments. Things wont go to **** overnight.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Let's see how he performs ;). It's a massive **** you to the establishment.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The one good thing about this is I'm young and have enough money in the bank that I can throw a lot into a retirement account. I expect the market to crash over the next few days, but I know it will recover long before I need the money despite the Republican's best efforts, and I should be able to make a decent amount of money off of the crash.

4. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

You apparently have leaned you lesson about making predictions. The deplorable's have it.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Liberals get what they deserve. Hillary would have won if it wasn't for 3rd party votes, and we already know the majority of those votes were from Liberals.

6. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Here's the thing: I don't want President Trump to fail.

A failed president would be a disaster for the country and the people I love. I may very well disagree with his statements, his policies, his nominees. But I'd rather be proved wrong than right. I hope I'm wrong about what the next four years hold for us all.

7. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Things have to get worse, before they get better.

8. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

The Establishment will adapt, to think otherwise is foolish

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I agree, although I wouldn't mind him failing to get the ACA repealed so that friends and relatives who only are able to get insurance because of the ACA don't die from preexisting conditions.

10. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Well what did you expect ? The establislment has been saying F you to us for years and years.

We saved all your asses. Thank us later.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

After listening to his speech there is hope that he will give up on the name calling and idle threats. I will hope he can become a good president. He could also be the pompous ass he was during the campaign. Will Trump be able to unite half of the country or will we see the 1960s but worse.

12. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

And to the op well maybe you shouldn't put much stock into the AP any longer.

If you can't see their agenda at this point you are truly asleep at the wheel.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You voted in a part of the establishment. Sure he was on the side paying them, but what makes you think that Trump will now pursue different policies than he has been paying politicians to enact? Do you really think he will hurt his businesses by restricting imports from the countries he manufactures in?

14. MacNut, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2016

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

To be fair he has been hurting his businesses for 30 years now.

15. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

We really should give a man a minute before we criticize. But he won't get a free pass either.

16. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

This 100%.

The only good thing I see is Trump seems to be less interventionist - well he might join Putin in wiping out the last of ISIS - and drawing back US forces as it's too damn expensive to play world policeman.

I will remind this Apple centric forum that Trump took the side of the FBI against Apple doubt extensive governmental spying will cease anytime soon.

17. Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

I completely agree with you on this point, polls and economists I often ignore. The problem with polls is they assume people tell the truth, people have gotten used to having to saying one thing in public, whilst thinking another behind closed doors.

Economists I personally ignored after the crash, when a BBC article went to the London School of Economics and they said we don't know what's next it is not in the text books.

18. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Nate Silver wasn't wrong. He pretty much can't be since he gives percentages. At least not till he has covered a good few elections. His prediction was basically role a dice and Trump wins on 5 or 6 and that happens pretty often.

19. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Not what I thought would happen. Did happen. I have a laissez- faire attitude at this point. To the extent we have a democracy , we reap what we sow...

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How have we been "saved"?

21. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

No more of the far left B.S. and third term of Obamafail. Time to fix what was purposely broken by Obama and thank God that she didn't get to gloat about getting away with it. The biggest save will be the Supreme Court.

22. nfl46 macrumors 603

I knew whether she won or not, I would be able to accept the result early on. Why? I did my part. It difficult to process. But, we have no choice but accept the result. DC is a mess right now. The ones that probably having a difficult time are the GOP members who bashed him/didn't vote for him. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the Trump/Ryan meeting. Talk about...awkwardddd.

23. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

I think he meant "We the People" of the US, not a world collective "we". There's a reason we fought a war to be free from "you".

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How have the people of the US been saved?

25. Huntn, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

We will all get what we deserve through our actions. For the Trumpets, it is not yet the happy ending they are dreaming about.