STAGGERING U.S. Debt Clock Data

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fivepoint, Aug 25, 2009.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfG5UcluYvc

In this particular video, Glenn Beck and guest Charles Payne discuss and demonstrate the TRILLIONS and TRILLIONS of dollars of crippling debt that both political parties have been amassing on the American people.

Personally, I'd like to see this thread actually discuss the video, actually discuss the numbers actually discuss the hundreds of thousands of dollars owed by each and every American for our debt and unfunded liabilities. I'd like to see us actually discuss how we as a country might get out of this debt, and how piling on incredibly large new entitlement programs and debt generators is somehow helping us get out of this mess.

I know there are some who'd like to ignore these important facts, simply because it was Glenn Beck who brought it to our attention, but I'd ask the moderators to keep the thread on-topic. This should be a discussion regarding the information provided, not by the character of the person providing it.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I stopped reading right there. If you want to have a serious discussion, use a serious source, not some delusional paranoid nutjob who should be wearing a strait jacket in a padded room.

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

As did I.

4. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

It's unfortunate that you stopped reading right there... the rest of the post was all about preventing what you just did. People want to just sweep facts and figures under the rug when it doesn't come from a source they find particularly appealing. So, what you attempt to do it to change the scope of the argument and attack people instead of discussing the real issue.

I think you're afraid. Afraid to speak intelligently about the real issue of crippling debt. I think you don't want to discuss the difficult issues of cutting costs and ending the government binge on entitlement programs which are bankrupting us slowly.

This isn't about Glenn Beck, this is about the chart. This is about the Trillions of dollars in debt. Address the way he presents it in the video if you want, whether you think he's doing the topic justice or not, but this thread is not designed to argue the merits of the man. I hope the admins will help see that it stays that way.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Like I said, if you want to have a serious discussion, find a serious source, and not the rantings of a raving loon who says what the voices in his head tell him to say.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Stop with Beck, surely if the story has merit there are other sources.

Why do you insist on always pulling this crap?

We will talk, just get some actual source instead of beck

Edit: Just so you know, economics on a global scale is not built upon actually being debt free, everyones in debt to someone else (with a few exceptions). A countries debt is not cannot be looked at like a persons debt.

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I don't think I'm going to put much trust in a program in which the participants can't tell the difference between a billion and a trillion.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

$38,183 per citizen currently. That is ridiculous. This site shows quite a bit of other data in real time. I particularly love the interest on debt meter.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

9. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

We get it fivepoint. We have amassed a lot of debt recently. Is it acceptable, no. Is citing Glen Beck as a source acceptable? Absolutely not.

Please find another source to discuss what you want to focus on.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I agree, Beck is irrelevant. If 5point wants serious discussion on the topic, and I do believe debt is worthy of discussion, then he needs to find someone who is intelligent, not a rabid right wing hate monger.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Just give us an article link or something. He saw how involving Beck worked out in his last thread, and now it seems like hes just trying to provoke us and then belittle our cries for sources behind "lets not talk about the man (that i purposely repeatedly bring in)".

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Do you really need a source to discuss the national debt? Its common information. The only thing I saw in the Beck video that was questionable was that there was some type of hidden motive behind the spending to give government more power.

13. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I question the website you posted. I'd like to know who's running it. The About Us link on the bottom doesn't give too much and seems a bit lopsided.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

We can't just request credible info and to not be subjected to the ranting of Beck?

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

There is another debt clock in Manhatten, I am sure we can verify that we are in a hole by it. It also displays liabilities per tax payer. Do we really need a debt clock to know that we are in massive debts and sinking further through massive spending?

The whois registration is private also so we can't tell who is running the site. I doubt it would be a republican front though, they amassed their share of the debt also. More than likely independent.

16. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I know there is a debt clock in Manhatta, lived on Long for 24 years been to NYC many a time.

See that's my problem right there. Where did they get their other information from? What are their alleged calculations.

I know we are $11T+ in debt, that's not what I'm arguing.

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

So did I. Hah.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

20. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Completely agreed. The OP has started two threads with Beck has a source.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You could be on to something. ;)

22. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

An individual of questionable stability that fox news watchers can relate to.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The push-back on Glenn Beck has everything to do with Beck's reputation as a profiter of deceit crossed with a Barnum and Bailey clown. If you want to discuss the data, as opposed to Beck please find a worthy source rather than his frothy ranting.

Come'on, you went from TED conferences to this putz?

Hey, here's one. ;)

It's interesting, the largest budget item is Defense/Wars which is ~518M. Also, look at the credit card debt: it's going down.

Or, a type of weasel. May be rabid.

25. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Any word, from Beck, about military spending?