Stainless Black option has special treatment to prevent wear/scratches

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by 8CoreWhore, Feb 21, 2015.

1. 8CoreWhore, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015

8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond-like_carbon

"An additional diamond-like carbon (DLC) layer gives the space black stainless steel its distinctive look."

Stainless bands are also available in Space Black option. Note, very different than Space Grey.

Expect it to cost more.

Attached Files:

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, that has been documented here and the vast majority of us expect it to be the most expensive model in the Watch (stainless steel) collection.

3. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Hmmph. I missed it.:confused:

4. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

If DLC is used in my Mach 3 razor (DLC coated tips), how much more expensive would an Apple Watch be with a DLC coating? Surely they save some manufacturing costs which are unique to the base stainless steel somewhere. How much more does the DLC process require in manufacturing?

Will it cost Apple .35$ per watch? $2.50 per watch? $10 per watch? Surely not more than that, as manufacturing costs are always just a small portion of the retail price.

So, how much is Apple going to gouge people for this "premium" finish?

My personal guess: not a penny. It won't cost them much more, and they don't want to risk fragmenting their own market any more than necessary. But that's just a personal guess, so don't get your knickers in a bunch if you disagree.

5. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Just remember one thing. Apple, just like any other company is out there to make tons of money. And if they have the opportunity, they won't miss it. How much more it cost Apple to manufacture one model from the other does not equal the price. It's more then meets the eye when it comes to deciding a price for a product.

6. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

You see, that's the attitude that gets a lot of posters here in logical twists. Yes, Apple is a company and companies make money. Got it...

But, just because something is a little more expensive to manufacture doesn't necessarily mean it's going to cost more at retail. It's not like Apple looks at the cost of manufacturing an iPhone and says: "This costs $157 to manufacture, and therefore we will price it at $749. This slightly different iPhone costs $162 to manufacture, so therefore it will cost $950." Sure, it may seem arbitrary, but in reality the two numbers are not linked. The retail price is determined by a far more complicated methodology, and that is "what will a customer pay for this? what differentiates it from another product? what will a customer pay for another differentiator? does a jump from 16gb to 32gb warrant a $100 increase in price to enough consumers so that we can maximize profit?" If you don't understand that simply notion, you certainly shouldn't be guessing what Apple will charge for their devices.

It's the same problem we see with the whole "will they sell straps individually?" and "will the straps be interchangeable?" people. In a realistic world, it doesn't make sense not to sell straps individually, nor does it make sense that they wouldn't be interchangeable. Of course, there are some who believe Apple is out to make money and thus anything they can do to squeeze money from people is exactly what they will do. So selling non-interchangeable watch straps means people might buy more expensive models or it will hamper third party strap makers etc... but these arguments assume people blindly buy whatever Apple sells and that corporate goodwill means nothing to Apple. People would stop buying Apple if they acted that greedily. Somewhat greedily? Ok. But people have a limit.

Anyway, I could go on and on about how dumb people's arguments in these forums have been. I honestly expected more, though I guess that's dumb on my party because the internet isn't exactly the forum of geniuses Orson Scott Card predicted in Ender's Game. Most people probably stopped reading about the time their eyes subconsciously told them how long this post was going to be.

My point, anyway, is that saying "of course it will cost more because Apple wants to make money" is a pretty weak argument. Duh, they want to make money. But nobody here has given a reasonable estimate for how much DLC treatment costs, nor any indication that the Black Stainless watch will produce demand such that the price increase is warranted.

7. rasputin1969 macrumors 6502

Yes of course the DLC version will cost more. In addition it will still be possible to scratch it - I have yet to see a DLC coating that has stood up to long term usage without showing signs of wear. DLC coating is fantastic but it is not perfect. If I was in the market I'd skip the DLC a version for this reason.

8. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I've had a watch with this coating before and it looked like crap after a year. I wouldn't get it again.

9. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

Black DLC WILL scratch and look bad after a while. Every scratch will show the silver stainless steel.

I've had higher end watches with DLC and they do scratch even with care. A $350+ watch will definitely scratch.....

The next gate = Scratchgate

10. splogue macrumors regular

splogue

That's disappointing to hear. I have a $350 Citizen titanium with a black DLC coating, and it is holding up very well for me. No scratches at all. And, I love how it looks.

But, I've always been very careful with my watches, so your mileage may vary!

Sean

11. Deanster, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015

Deanster macrumors regular

Not trying to give you a hard time, I'm truly interested in your experience.

Which watches? Are you sure they're true DLC and not one of the many common PVD coatings?

Technically, DLC is a PVD coating, of course, but there's many coatings that can be applied by the PVD method. DLC is unique, though, in that it lays down blobs of almost-diamond.

DLC can be knocked or chipped off by a big enough impact, but it's not going to wear down or scratch like more-common PVD coatings.

I have a Ball Night Train that's DLC coated, and after 6 years of wear (in rotation with other watches), it looks absolutely pristine, except for one tiny chip in the DLC on the edge of the bezel where I caught a metal door jamb one day.

DLC (like any coating) isn't perfect, of course, but my experience is that it's pretty incredible in daily performance.

By contrast, some other common PVD coating materials have proven to wildly underperform my expectations - they show scratches, shows wear on high points quite quickly, etc., just as you're describing.