Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
For anyone considering the new iPad mini like I was, the Air 2 is $150 off right now at Staples - all models! That makes it cheaper than comparable mini 4 models and plus you get an A8X chip with the Air 2 instead of the A8 in the mini. Just purchased one. Could not pass that up.

You'll also get iOS 8 installed instead of 9 if that matters to you

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
For anyone considering the new iPad mini like I was, the Air 2 is $150 off right now at Staples - all models! That makes it cheaper than comparable mini 4 models and plus you get an A8X chip with the Air 2 instead of the A8 in the mini. Just purchased one. Could not pass that up.

Does the Air 2 support split screens (IOS 9) ? If so, I can't see anyone with an Air 2, not wanting IOS 9.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Does the Air 2 support split screens (IOS 9) ? If so, I can't see anyone with an Air 2, not wanting IOS 9.

Yes, it does. It has the 2GB of RAM that SV needs. The Air 2 was actually a year ahead of iOS. It was the only iOS device that supported full multitasking until this September's product introductions.

Reactions: scapegoat81

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008

If you can stand the size, the Air 2 is the best value right now. The cpu is still a bit faster than the Mini 4 and the gpu is much faster.

Reactions: 0928001

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I will take advantage of this amazing deal. I actually had an Air 2 64gb ordered from Amazon since Sep 12, that I just canceled. I tried two different 500 dollar visa gift cards but for a few reasons they never shipped it. So now I have both cards with pending charges on it. Hopefully the funds are placed back onto my gift cards before the sale ends next weekend.

Does anyone have any secret to have these pending charges drop sooner on the cards??

Reactions: lyngo

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Does the Mini 4 support split screen? Idk if I'll get that or just go for the Air 2 based off form factor differences. I prefer the Mini if anything. I have a Mini 2 though, so no need to upgrade.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
Ok, I'm considering a mini 4 so I read this post, and there was nothing useful to me. I guess you meant, read if you're considering the mini 4, but might prefer the Air 2 if it were cheaper. :)

Last edited:

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010

Do you have a link? I did not see the $150 off.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
FYI use Discover via Apple Pay (In Store Only) and get 10% cash back. So basically no Tax in states like CA.

Awesome deal imo. I got the 64GB iPad Air 2 Gold for 449. The 16GB for 349 is a steal especially for people who don't need the space (like older people, parents etc)

FYI #2, it seems like they're out of stock online for 16gb gold and space gray. Silver is still available. Just get silver, dont open it and switch it to your favorite color at a local staples.

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I saw the $150 off after I put the iPad into my cart. 64gb Gold with Applecare.

Jumped as my mom needs a replacement for her aging iPad 2. She does not want a replacement, but won't be able to refuse if I present her with this. I may just sneak selling her iPad 2 (if that's still possible at that point and replace it with this.) I know she'll be pissed at first, but she'll appreciate it especially since I can truthfully say, mom it's gently used. :p I'll be giving it a thorough test run until I get the iPad Pro.

Reactions: SDAVE

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Just ordered this from Staples, Space Gray 64GB excellent price $449.00, never seen it that low and best of all it's not a gift card that you have to use back in the store, it's instant savings, the best in my opinion. This price is even lower than refurbished in the Apple store for the same GB. Amazing!!

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I saw the $150 after I put the iPad into my cart. 64gb Gold with Applecare.

Jumped as my mom needs a replacement for her aging iPad 2. She does not want a replacement, but won't be able to refuse if I present her with this. I may just sneak selling her iPad 2 (if that's still possible at that point and replace it with this.) I know she'll be pissed at first, but she'll appreciate it especially since I can truthfully say, mom it's gently used. :p I'll be giving it a thorough test run until I get the iPad Pro.

FYI if you use a credit card like discover or amex they give you an extra year for warranty so Apple Care is kind of useless. Check with your card to see whats covered.

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
SDAVE, thanks for that tip. I do not have either of those cards right now, but it's good to know for future purchases. Very much appreciated. EDIT: after Apple came through with my replacement iP6 I decided to get the Applecare.

Reactions: SDAVE

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It is a great deal I'm just loving mini form factor with finally an Air quality screen and higher ppi.

In a hands on video side by side air2 only seems a hair faster opening apps. Im not doing anything production related either so paying +50 for small over this 349 deal is meh but also I think where I need to be at.

But man that's a great deal surprised it's still in stock ! They must be sitting on a lot of inventory

Mystro

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
If it weren't for the Pro, I might have purchased another mid size ipad but I already have enough in that size. I may have to look into this deal.

Last edited:

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
It is a great deal I'm just loving mini form factor with finally an Air quality screen and higher ppi.

In a hands on video side by side air2 only seems a hair faster opening apps. Im not doing anything production related either so paying +50 for small over this 349 deal is meh but also I think where I need to be at.

But man that's a great deal surprised it's still in stock ! They must be sitting on a lot of inventory

Three words. Picture in picture.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
That $150 discount on the Air 2 is really a great price. Or a really great price. Or maybe really a really great price... ;)

jev425

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Seattle, WA
I have a mini 2 and was considering the mini 4 or the air 2. I always liked the size of the mini but definitely wanted the size of the air for awhile. Saw this deal and picked one up for 449. Hopefully Apple doesn't pull a fast one on us and brings a new air to the market too in the near future.

Considering the air 2 has "better" internals is it a bit more future proof than the mini 4?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.