Star Fox developer: "Wii is a bit more of a toy", not interested in Star Fox for Wii

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by jaw04005, Apr 4, 2009.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Q Games President Dylan Cuthbert was recently interviewed by G4, and had some interesting things to say about the Star Fox series and the Wii.

I should point out (since G4 doesn't). Cuthbert worked for Argonaut Games, which developed the SuperFX chip for Nintendo. The actual Star Fox series concept was developed in-house by Nintendo's Takaya Imamura at the direction of Miyamoto.

G4's title is somewhat misleading, as Cuthbert didn't actually create Star Fox, but it's still a good read nevertheless.

Original 'Star Fox' Creator Not Interested In Making 'Star Fox' For Wii

"After interviewing Q Games President Dylan Cuthbert about PixelJunk Eden, we hit him up on some questions with a franchise he helped create for Nintendo – Star Fox. As most Star Fox fans would agree, there were few Star Fox titles worth playing: Star Fox, Star Fox 64, and Star Fox Command. Not surprisingly, Cuthbert was involved in the creation of two out of three - Star Fox, and Star Fox Command. Cuthbert was also involved with the development of Star Fox 2, however sadly, even though that game was never released, there were apparently elements from that game - including the tank levels - that made it into Star Fox 64.

Since the release of Star Fox Command on the Nintendo DS, there hasn’t been a Star Fox title for quite a while. Considering the fact that there hasn’t been a Star Fox title released on the Wii so far, most would believe that this year will be the year where Fox McCloud will climb into his Arwing for his first Wii Star Fox voyage.

So will Cuthbert and Q Games be at the helm? Not likely….

G4: Would you like to do another Star Fox game?

Dylan Cuthbert: (Laughter) After Command? Uhh, not yet. Maybe in another 10 years. I’ve made three. [Only two were released]

G4: Well there hasn’t been one for the Wii yet…

Cuthbert: The problem with that is that it’d be a big project, like 100 people on the staff. It’s just not something we really want to do. I’m sure someone will make it. Maybe they’ll go back to Namco. [Namco developed Star Fox Assault]

G4: I hope not, personally. (laughs) I’d rather you did it.

Cuthbert: Well, maybe in the future, you never know. Star Fox is an interesting brand. It has a very hardcore audience. People like those furries a little too much. (laughs)

G4: Oh! People are going to love that quote. (laughs) I have to ask you, why do you think it was always difficult for developers when Fox got out of the Arwing. Fox is a pilot, but they’d always get him out of…like the tank, the tank was cool, but it still felt like an Arwing - Why do you think people wanted to take him out of being a pilot and have him run around on foot?

Cuthbert: I think that’s all Miyamoto. Whenever I speak to Miyamoto about Star Fox, he says it’s not meant to be just a flying, sci-fi shooting game. It’s meant to be anything we want to think up. But the core fans don’t want that, but Miyamoto doesn’t really care about that. He wants to make what he wants to make, so he just goes ahead and gets it done.

G4: So you’d never like to make one for Wii where you control it with the Wiimote on it’s side?

Cuthbert: Yeah, no the Wii controller would be a bit too hard to use. I don’t know…maybe the new one…

G4: Motion Plus?

Cuthbert: Yeah. Maybe that’d be more fun to play with. I don’t know. The Wii is a bit more of a toy, I think.

So Star Fox fans, it’s not looking like Q Games will be heading up Star Fox Wii. We’ll bet it’ll either be internally with Nintendo, or they’ll farm it out to a third party such as Namco (please God, no!) We’ll have the rest of our full interview with Dylan Cuthbert and Baiyon and everything PixelJunk Eden next week."

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/6...ot-Interested-In-Making-Star-Fox-For-Wii.html

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the wii is just a toy for parties

though mario was pretty fun but theres no way ill play a sports game or shooter on a wii

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

or a console for tweenies.

4. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

DO A BARREL ROLL!
    Or not....

I'm pretty surprised, but I've got a feeling Star Fox will still make it onto the Wii someday.

5. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

I should point out:

Metacritic Ratings
    Star Fox 64 (Nintendo/Nintendo 64) - 88 (Metascore), 9.8 out of 10 (Users)
    Star Fox Adventures (Rare/GameCube) - 82 (Metascore), 7.9 out of 10 (Users)
    Star Fox Assault (Namco/GameCube) - 67 (Metascore), 8.4 out of 10 (Users)
    Star Fox Command (Q Games/DS) - 76 (Metascore), 7.5 out of 10 (Users)

Rare is owned by Microsoft (I bet they regret this each day, as they haven't had a hit title since leaving Nintendo's platforms), and now Q is out. Who's left?

It's either Namco or Nintendo EAD developing Star Fox for Wii. Hopefully, EAD.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Or a console with Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3. The most fun console single player experiences I've had was with the Wii.

Personally I hope EAD are doing it.

7. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

[​IMG]
    Do you not see how CREEPY this is?

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Do you like popsicles? I've got a whole freezer full of popsicles in my basement...

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Rare didn't leave, we can't give them that much credit. :) Nintendo sold their controlling interest in Rare, as its success was tapering off. But I have to think that most of Rare's 360 games would have been more successful on the Wii.

10. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

[​IMG]
    Sure, I'll be right down. :)

11. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

man Star Fox Rocked on SNES and on N64 it was EPIC. one of my favorite games that i still play to this day

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Definitely! Bought it on the Virtual Console just incase my N64 ever kicks the bucket. The soundtrack was superb too.

Q Games... Starfox Command. Err no. I wouldn't want them making a new Star Fox game.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah but Banjo & Viva Pinata & Kameo are excellent games regardless. It's a shame the general public do not buy quirky games.

Quality game does not always mean quality sales figures.

I agree with you. Games like Banjo & Viva probably would suit the nintendo audience more than the microsoft audience simply because they were groomed on a diet of quirkiness, as opposed to a diet of gong ho brainless FPS's.

RARE's games on the 360 are amongst my favorite games this generation, and ironically they are probably some of the oldest Nintendoesque Hardcore Gaming experiences I've played this generation even on the Wii,

14. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

I completely agree with you. Viva Pinata in particular would have been more successful on the Wii. Personally, I wish Microsoft would sell them back, and Nintendo would take them.

Here's a good article on the entire Rare saga:

http://www.gamecubicle.com/news-nintendo_rare_microsoft_official.htm

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Something wrong with Nintendo creating another special Wii controller for Star Fox and like-games, thus creating more income for itself???

:eek:

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Pleaseee...that arguement wasn't great in 2007, and is just plain false in 2009

17. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'd love to play those games someday, but unless someone gives me a 360, I just can't get myself to cross the line. :eek:

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yeah, it's getting tiring.

19. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah true...

then again if they just ported it, added new levels + an epic story with updated graphics...

i think i'd buy it. heck if they came out with an expansion pack to plop in like a gameshark i'd buy it haha.

what a great game

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Same here. I like originality in games but when they strike gold I don't mind them making more of the same. Zelda (non-DS ones though), Mario, Metroid, LocoRoco, Street Fighter, Half Life, Monster Hunter, Advance Wars. I really dislike when they try to reinvent games that were already great to begin with. So long as they pace out sequels rather than milking them, of course.
    How awesome would a 1080p 2D Rayman with painted graphics be compared to the crap that Rayman now is?