Star Trek fans are terrorists?!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Oct 28, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Yep.

:facepalm:

http://www.frontpagemag.com/point/2...microchip-hating-christians-daniel-greenfield

How can Trekkies be terrorists? The show they love hates racism and sexism and many Trekkies follow in the footsteps of the show, which - like any religion - is more about allegory and metaphor than literal actions. But that might also explains two other things:

1. why anyone of any religion is a target, especially when most typically work and practice the good sides of the parables

2. why most Star Trek fans that end up going to jail for suspected terroristic threats or actions are solely the ones wearing Klingon garb? There's nary a red shirt, Kirk cosplayer, or Vulcan-wannabe...

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

That's how censorship works.
    And...
    Should we ban all scifi because they are all containing volent scenes?
    Wait...sounds similar of this setting: the most notorious yet largest communist country in the world forces people to believe the world is beautiful and without violence, especially children.

3. APlotdevice, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

This was around the same time when the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" series had to be renamed to "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" in the UK because they thought ninjas were too violent for children.

Of course America had its own panic over violent comic books in the 50s. And then violent video games in the 90s. I still remember them trying to blame the Columbine massacre on First Person Shooters.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wow. What a waste of time and effort. I especially don't understand the go mad and kill yourself part. Why would science fiction fans ever do that? :rolleyes:

5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Maybe looking at wrong genres?

6. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

One thing that can make Trekkies go mad…..

--- Post Merged, Oct 28, 2016 ---
    And another source of Mad Trekkie Disease…..

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

There will definitely be Star Trek-related acts of terrorism when it finally hits Star Trek fans that the only way to see the new Star Trek show will be on a paid subscription CBS streaming plan with ads.

8. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Can we please get a Star Trek subforum?

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I hate to see their folder on Walking Dead fans :D.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Hmmm... I guess I'm on somebody's list because I've watched V for Vendetta multiple times.

11. jdoll021 macrumors regular

jdoll021

My apologies for reviving a cold thread, but I wanted to address the OP...

This is not unusual for any show (or art, or anything really) labeled as being "subversive." Usually it happens when the show in question challenges the reigning economic paradigm. Case in point: Firefly. We may never know why Fox really killed the show (since it was popular and received high ratings) but my guess is that a lot of the elements in Firefly were counter cultural, particularly the ideas of corporate dominance, the merger of state and corporations and the industrial security complex.

Star Trek, particularly in the 90's, presented the viewpoint that, in the future, humans no longer work for profit, but for cultural enrichment. As Captain Picard put it, humans "work to better ourselves and humanity as a whole." This concept is diametrically opposed to the current economic paradigm of neoliberal philosophy and globalization which basically says that only profit, and nothing else, drives progress. We've basically adopted the Ferengi model of profiteering.

Another idea this challenges is the inherent ideology amongst the political leadership that people are bad and need to be, more or less, controlled (surveillance state, emphasis on the "rule of law," violent cops, etc). Star Trek and other Sci Fi also counter this by presenting the idea that people aren't bad at all. That left to their own devices, people won't burn it all down in random acts of mindless debauchery. Or, in other words, there will be no "purge."

The fact that Sci Fi presents these alternative viewpoints is a threat to the current paradigm, particularly if it's popular. It's like telling believers in the current paradigm "everything you've believed and worked on your entire life is a lie." That usually doesn't sit too well with them and they react badly, sometimes violently.

12. MarkusL macrumors 6502

I went mad and wanted to kill myself when I watched the last episode of STTNG season 2. You know the one where the production ran out of money, so Riker got bitten by a tree and spent the whole episode in sickbay dreaming of various things that happened to him in earlier episodes.

13. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Don't forget The Captain's unforgettable performance of "Rocket Man" at the Academy of Science Fiction Horror and Fantasy Awards. Wow. I saw that on TV live. A friend of mine was in the audience. I think it did him some damage.

And of course, Nimoy's "Ballad of Bilbo Baggins." Wheeeewww.

On the other side of the coin, there's Brent Spiner's CD Old Yellow Eyes Is Back. It's actually not that bad.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I love ST, XFiles, and so on. More troubling I love Twin Peaks, especially this new crazy season.
    I guess they're preparing a room for me at Guantanamo

15. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

England is the most surveilled state in the world. This is nothing new nor is it unexpected.

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Only in Airstrip One is this possible.:rolleyes:

All I got to say about this is: "yIHarQo'! nepwI' ghaH!"

It translates to "Do not believe him. He lies." (TNG: A Matter of Honor)

17. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I think you are missing a key aspect, is Star Fleet was run as a military system, with team work and productivity/work as expected of all. Basic living is covered, so free time is devoted to better meant, not worrying about bills, 401k, medicine, or food.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Bastardos! :(

19. jdoll021 macrumors regular

jdoll021

I recall a convention where one of the producers addressed this in relation to a conflict between a fan (who believed Star Fleet to be a military) and Gene Roddenberry (who did not intent Star Fleet to be seen this way - given more attention in STVI). I think the point of Star Fleet was to adopt the structure and hierarchy of a military, even for a agency whose charter is for science and exploration with defense being secondary, largely so that starships can act relatively independently in the "wilderness" of space. There were other reasons, but if you look at history, many European explorers, who were most decidedly not military, adopted a military type hierarchy on their ships (Captain, First Mate, etc).

My sense of the "civilian world" in Star Trek is based on this "work to better ourselves and humanity as a whole," a line repeated by Jake Sisko in DS9 when asked by Nog why he didn't have any of his own money. Another instance is this dialogue:

Jake: I just sold my first book!
    Quark: How much money did you get for it? - (I paraphrased this since I don't recall the exact quote)
    Jake: It's just a figure of speech.

In civilian life, in the Federation at least, there is no money (credits are a whole other ball game and probably meant to prevent overusing services) and people work for their own betterment and the betterment of humanity. Even civilians don't have to worry about bills, 401ks, medicine or food.

It's likely that Star Fleet, or the Federation, manages trade and commerce with non-Federation entities.