Star Wars Trilogy on DVD this Tuesday

raynegus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone think Lucas should be spanked for messing with these classics?

I'll probably still buy it, even though Greedo shoots first. Oh well.

Attachments

raynegus said:

if greedo were to shoot first he would have hit han, the reason he missed was because solo shot first, thats retarded. anyway im gonna have to come up with some money so i cna buy it, i wanted to get it on the day it ws releiced, but i think im gonna hve to wait for a bit

Brettla

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2004
Monona,WI
Don't you think they will release all six movies together in a box set after the final movie makes it on to dvd, personally i think i will wait for that, i already have the movies on vhs.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
evoluzione said:
what did he mess with????
There have been a lot of small changes for continuity's sake. One of the major changes is that at the end of ROTJ, Lucas has replaced the ghost of Anakin with Hayden Christienson (sp?) instead of the older Sebastian Shaw that used to be there. I believe he has also tweaked the scene with Jabba the Hutt and Han that was added in Episode IV.

raynegus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2003
evoluzione said:
what did he mess with????
Lucas made many changes to make it less violent and appeal more to children. He makes Greedo shoot first, so Han Solo does not look like a bad guy. He digitally added storm troopers parachuting out of their tie fighters before crashing. He added a dancing Ewok musical scene to Jedi. Ad nauseam.

Lucas has said that the original films will never, ever be seen again. He is very firm on this position and many fans having been voicing their objection on the net. It's actually kind of a fun feud to watch. So many people love these films.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
here's a community built around the originals:

http://originaltrilogy.com/index2.cfm

here's a professional review that includes all the changes:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarstrilogy.html

--in the end it amounts to minor changes overall. 95%+ of the SW films are the same and they will look and sound better than they ever have. i think lucas should release 2 cuts instead of only offering his ever changing vision of the classic trilogy. that would make near 100% of his fanbase happy

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
what? WHAT? I can't believe the Greedo thing, and replacing Sebastien Shaw at the end of ROTJ? Oh goodness, someone needs to restrain George Lucas. I'm still looking forward to episode three, even though I'm a little skeptical about how amazing it will be.

MacFan26 said:
what? WHAT? I can't believe the Greedo thing, and replacing Sebastien Shaw at the end of ROTJ? Oh goodness, someone needs to restrain George Lucas. I'm still looking forward to episode three, even though I'm a little skeptical about how amazing it will be.
its this kinda **** that makes me ****ing hate lucas, granted ill still buy the movies only because they are the most awesomest movies in the world but im still pissed at him

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Royal Pineapple said:
its this kinda **** that makes me ****ing hate lucas, granted ill still buy the movies only because they are the most awesomest movies in the world but im still pissed at him

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why Lucas doesn't care what people think and why the original theatrical cuts are gone forever. Now matter how hard people b*tch and preface the name "Lucas" w/a string of foul language a mile long they'll go out and buy the versions of the films they just spent a paragraph complaining about.

-Lethal

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
At aged eleven I thought the films were great but now realise they were rubbish. Now Lucas has changed them for some reasons described above - making them worse.

Lemmings unite and buy. Are you sure you don't use windows?

LethalWolfe said:
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why Lucas doesn't care what people think and why the original theatrical cuts are gone forever. Now matter how hard people b*tch and preface the name "Lucas" w/a string of foul language a mile long they'll go out and buy the versions of the films they just spent a paragraph complaining about.

-Lethal
you cant deny that they are great flicks

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I haven't seen these since they were rereleased back in 1997 :eek: (actually, I have seen Empire Strikes Back since then, but the other two I haven't seen for 7 years).

I've pre-ordered the DVDs, and they'll be here in 2 1/2 days :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Star Wars fans are worse than Mac users. They're just sheep. I have a friend that has 3 sets of the films. Why? Just because you're a huge fan, doesn't mean you have to buy another new release from Lucas. Being a huge fan doesn't mean you have to be a financial dolt. It doesn't mean you have to buy the new release in order to prove that you're a fan. Its pointless.

And Lucas can change whatever in the film he wants. Its his film....his project. Hell, some can say it's his life's work. I know he has done other things (they all slip my mind, but whatever), but SW is what he'll always try to perfect. Its his pet project, so he can do whatever he wants. If some of his fans don't like it, they don't need to. Its not like he's changing the story. These are minor changes.

That being said, Hayden Christensen should be the ghost of Anakin in ROTJ. He IS the guy who now plays him in Ep 2 and 3, after all. ;) Fans just seem to nit-pick on the new change just for the sake of doing so. Continuity is right.....it wouldn't make sense now if Hayden wasn't the ghost.

ThomasJefferson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Virginia
Kinda hoping they would remove Hayden Christienson from the DVD. Anyone up to the job? I suppose it could have been worse. Leonardo DeCaprio.

"Han shot first." Sounds like a great T-Shirt for the next Star Wars convention.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
At least the original versions are NOT gone forever.
A friend of mine has the very first Star Wars movie as LaserDisc... even the "Episode IV" tag is missing in this version...!!

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
raynegus said:

An artist who changes his own art because he wants to tweak it a little... What should we do with him? He created it, he owns it, he can do with it what he wishes. As much as fans may dislike him for changing their beloved movies, they must remember without him, there would be no Star Wars.

Composers, visual artists, movie makers, musicians, etc. change their art all the time. If you create it, you can change it. While it does, in a sense, belong to the "community" it is still theirs. I have also found that the longer ago something happened, often the better it seems. In 20 years people may like Episode I...

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
guess what, i sitll have the originals.. on tape though, nd from the 80's so their a little dusty.. but still play well! so would they go for big bucks on ebay then? :rolleyes:

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
i still have the original ones on vcr (recorded from tv) so i don't see why the new edited ones are so bad... i will still buy the dvd box for christmas (aren't there talks that 2 different versions get released...at least i heard that a few months ago)

personally i've enjoyed all episodes (including episode I and II) because they were very entertaining

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Royal Pineapple said:
you cant deny that they are great flicks
I'm not trying to. I'm just pointing out that I think it's funny that even as people b*tch to the high heavens they still whip out their wallets and buy the very thing they are railing against.

Stike,
My point was the original theatrical cuts are never going to be released again. Once all the VHS and LD copies self destruct the original cuts, for all intents and purposes, are going to be gone. Any surviving copies are going to turn into high priced collectors items. hell, I bet anyone who does an LD->DVD conversion could sell clones of the DVD on eBay and not make a bad profit.

Abstract,
Putting HC's ghost AS A YOUNG MAN, kinda doesn't fit considering Vader died old. Yoda and Obi-wan are still old, and Obi-wan hasn't been changed to Ewan.

Honestly, I doubt anyone would care about the continuity issuses. Lucas is, for whatever reason, messing w/things that don't need to be messed with. The further changes to the original three are just more evidence that Lucas hasn't the faintest idea why people love SW so much.

saxman,
And w/out the fans' $$$ Lucas wouldn't be the industry powerhouse that he is today. I don't think it's too much to ask to release the orginal cuts of the films as well. The changes I really don't care all that much about (except replaceing Prowse w/HC at the end of Jedi), but the fact that only the recut-recut version is being released on DVD is a load of crap, IMO.

Lethal

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
LethalWolfe said:
hell, I bet anyone who does an LD->DVD conversion could sell clones of the DVD on eBay and not make a bad profit.
Lethal
this is a common practice among SW bootleggers

the smart ppl DL them from bittorent :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
No plans to release the originals.

AP: Why not release both the originals and special editions on DVD?

Lucas: The special edition, that's the one I wanted out there. The other movie, it's on VHS, if anybody wants it. ... I'm not going to spend the, we're talking millions of dollars here, the money and the time to refurbish that, because to me, it doesn't really exist anymore. It's like this is the movie I wanted it to be, and I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it. But I want it to be the way I want it to be. I'm the one who has to take responsibility for it. I'm the one who has to have everybody throw rocks at me all the time, so at least if they're going to throw rocks at me, they're going to throw rocks at me for something I love rather than something I think is not very good, or at least something I think is not finished.
And I can't leave out this bit: :eek:

AP: Do you pay much attention to fan reactions to your choices?

Lucas: Not really.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
MacRumorSkeptic said:
ITS A SCAM!!!
I'd bet anything Lucas will release the original trilogy in its untainted form years from now, so he can get huge record breaking DVD sales twice for the same titles.
I think it might happen, but I also think Lucas will have to be dead before it happens.