Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

shazam.jpg
Apple and Starbucks have expanded their music partnership to offer free apps as well. The coffee chain is now offering customers free "Pick of the Week" cards with App Store redemption codes for featured apps. The first app is Shazam Encore, a music-identification app that normally sells for $5.99.

Apple and Starbucks have had a relationship for years, originally offering free songs and letting iPod Touch and iPhone users easily purchase songs they heard in Starbucks locations. The company has offered musical "Pick of the Week" cards, letting customers download select music tracks for free as well.

(Image courtesy CNET)

Article Link: Starbucks and Apple Partner for Free iPhone Apps

Last edited by a moderator:

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5288d)

As a barista, this makes me incredibly happy. Now I can nab songs AND apps before we put them out :D.

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I prefer SoundHound to Shazam but that's beside the point - this is very cool!

Anyone know how I could go about getting Starbucks to possibly promote my app this way?

Xarthan

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Nice! Did people see these at Starbucks today? Wondering if they are out yet or are still trickling around the country being delivered to Starbucks.

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

Xarthan said:
Nice! Did people see these at Starbucks today? Wondering if they are out yet or are still trickling around the country being delivered to Starbucks.

I can't speak for Apple or Starbucks, but if you already have pick of the week for songs over there, I'd wager you'll also get the app cards.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I like this. The free iTunes songs that Starbucks picks are usually worth a listen, so hopefully the apps they choose are just as good.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
This is cool. Looking forward to seeing more cool apps for free eventually.

As said above, I also like Soundhound better, and it's free already, but hey, these deals are good too.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
pretty nice deal.

I too prefer the Free Soundhound but having Shazam Encore (free) would be nice too.

I love the freebies...normally worth a listen and now I can try these apps too.
wouldn't expect too much but wonder if they'll be random or more geared to songs/music to match their Song of the Week

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
I just checked at a Starbucks in Sterling, Va., and they knew nothing about this new promotion. It must become available in future weeks, only.

It would be interesting to see, what the expiration date on the back of the shown card is. The code on the current Pick of the Week (Ritual Union by Little Dragon) song card expires this coming November 11. Presuming that Apple keeps the app redemption codes active for the same amount of time, knowing what it says on the Shazam card would allow us to calculate, when it is intended to be released to customers.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
Same question: how are these distributed?
Many of the Starbucks stores don't prominently display these, or keep them stocked with the latest song cards. I have had to ask whether they had current ones many times, which they would subsequently locate in the back somewhere and put out either near the register, at the bar, or where the napkins and condiments are.

----------

So, does anyone know the code to redeem, cuz i dont feel like driving to Starbucks :D
At least with the song cards, there is no code that could be redeemed more than once. If the person who is in possession of the card shown here at MacRumors let us know what that code was, it could only be used by the first person redeeming it. Each individual song card has a unique redemption code.

Dr. Scott

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
Today I was told 'Pick of the Week' cards are released on Tuesdays. In Eugene, Oregon its a Little Dragon song called 'Ritual Reunion'. Hoping the Shazam app comes next or very soon. Great idea from Apple/Fourbucks! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.