Starbuck's offers free racial guilt trip with your over-priced latte.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Mar 18, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I mean, who doesn’t want to be lectured on race relations from a Starbucks barista? Wotta deal!

Seriously, it's not really a lecture; merely some words scribbled on your coffee cup. However, it's silly and I predict Stabucks' scrubs it before it gets started. They did get some publicity out of it, though.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/race-starbucks-stirs-controversy-race-relation-campaign/story?id=29726584

Here's what people are saying about Starbucks' campaign:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2015/03/17/393562838/heres-what-people-are-saying-about-starbucks-race-together-campaign

2. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

The negative back-lash surprised Starbucks I believe.

3. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Why does the phrase 'race together' inspire a racial guilt trip in you?

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Everyone is uptight. And by everyone, I mean everyone.

5. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Well, like the old saw goes any publicity is good publicity. It reminds me of last years Amazon drone delivery announcement. They owned the news cycle for several days.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I'm still disappointed that didn't take off. No pun intended.

7. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Personally I think anyone who frequents Starbucks deserve everything they get.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Nobody should be surprised by negative backlash these days.

Because ...

10. puma1552 macrumors 601

11. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I like Tully's but you can't always find one. They might just be in the PNW.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

An acceptable, but hardly amazing, cup of coffee for a few coins. Not exactly the grinding down of the proletariat.

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Its a laudable sentiment, but I question both the effectiveness and the appropriateness of the campaign.

An over-worked barista scribbling a couple of words on a paper cup strikes me as a particularly toothless means of effecting change in 21st century America. A lot of things need to happen, but I just don't see this effort - no matter how well meaning - from Starbucks doing anything except annoying people.

I think many of the non-caucasian customers and employees of the Starbucks are going to feel patronized if someone actually strikes up a conversation because of the cups. And the real racists are just going to point to this sort of thing as something else to whine about.

Become the change you want to see.

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If I had that written on my cup, I probably wouldn't notice it at all because I'm too interested in the drink in the cup itself, and whatever else I'm doing at the time.

15. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I wonder what people's reactions would be if baristas started scrawling "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior?" on coffee cups...

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Effectiveness rate: zero

Harm Rate: zero

Care Rate: zero

Apathy Rate: 110%

17. dec. Suspended

dec.

I'm not really sure if you can compare "advertising for a mythological cult" with promoting social ideals that hopefully most of us share (or do you object?).

And as long as Starbucks aren't ringing my doorbell every few days like those "Jesus"-People ("We'd like to talk to you about God" - "No, you wouldn't. *slam*" :p ), I'll continue drinking their coffee.

Either way, I doubt that campaigns like that really work out very well. While I can imagine that Starbucks actually mean well with it, I doubt that it just works that way. People prefer to discuss those issues on their own terms and at an appropriate timing in the right situation.

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

If I go for a coffee in Moscow,Beijing,Auckland or London I want a local experience and not some servile Barista who wishes me "have a nice day" in fact it's only through great self control I don't punch them in the face.

19. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Who has time to wait 20 min for a coffee with whipped cream? The cup should say "wait together"....

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Oh, that'd call for instant death...

BUT SERIOUSLY, FOLKS! It doesn't matter what they write, from "All are equal", to "Jesus loves you", if you're getting worked up over a bunch of scribbles on the side of your coffee cup, you might need to examine your priorities. If you're a racist, well, you're an ass anyway. If you're atheist, then it's just a bunch of words. It's all easy to ignore. Try not to take it personally.

Hell, a barista could write "eat butt and burn in hell" on the side of my cup, and the only thing that'd make me give a damn is if they spit in my coffee too.

21. citizenzen, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015

citizenzen macrumors 65816

My first reaction would be to suspect the hipster behind the counter was playing a joke.

But one thing to note here ... this wasn't some random note left by an individual worker. This was a deliberate marketing campaign by the company. So a more apt analogy would be what people's reactions would be if Starbucks launched a Jesus Saves campaign where they asked their baristas to scrawl religious notes on customer's cups.

And to tell you the truth, I wouldn't like the idea. I'd prefer that Starbucks not put anything on my cup other than my name. I appreciate that they think they're accomplishing something, but really ... just stick to making coffee.

Edit: I completely support Starbucks, or any company giving to social (or even religious) causes. But they should do that without encroaching on the customer's experience at the moment of purchase. That (IMO) should be as seamless, secular and apolitical as possible. If I were a businessman, I'd want to take everybody's money.

22. FieldingMellish Suspended

Schultz wanted to inspire a new level of sensitivity? I think we've reached the heights of sensitivity and beyond and it's time to tone it down, if that's possible. I consider it sensitivity for dollars because we're talking about Starbucks and many will go out and buy a cup of coffee having been reminded.

23. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I think I'd laugh and tip the person

24. sim667 macrumors 65816

Anything that causes the OP to question prejudice causes them to have a "racial guilt trip" as far as I can understand

But then it wouldn't be a guilt trip if they didn't have any prejudice to feel guilty about ;)

But in the context of what starbucks are doing, i like the reasoning, but asking servers to tackle the debate is not appropriate, and unfair..... they sell coffee, not provide counselling.

25. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The bad Jazz they play is just like the stuff they play in shrinks waiting rooms so maybe they are providing counseling. :cool: