Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
For me, I never linger in Starbucks long enough for this to be useful, but put this in airports where I am often waiting for a plane and all outlets are being used by other people charging their phones and I would be very interested.

I wish this idea would be implemented at all airports. I can't tell you how many times that I have been walking around a terminal to look for an available outlet so I can charge my phone.

As for Starbucks. Great idea on their behalf, especially for the people that tend to hang out in their stores for long periods of time for work, etc. Personally, I only go into a Starbucks a handful of times a year (coincidentally when I'm traveling), and really don't tend to hang out there long enough to charge my phone.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Any charging could have an impact, especially if your battery is low.

The idea for them is that you are going to stay and drink your drink while your phone picks up a little charge. But hey since you are staying maybe you will get that muffin you were thinking about. And so on.

And for all we know this case is something you have to buy outright and it's got its own battery like a mophie which charges faster so even more impact.

Perhaps anyone who uses an electronic device. It's always nice to have a little charge.

You both sort of missed the point of my post. It was more a commentary about the people who hang out in Starbucks as opposed to getting a coffee and leaving. keysofanxiety and futbalguy got it.

To your point charlie, it's not just a case. Duracell has a whole host of accessories that you can purchase to augment your wireless needs. Currently Starbucks will let you try a case if you're curious but that will be going away if this takes off. But eventually you will need to purchase your own. If you're interested, Apple sells a kit right now. $120. To me, not worth it, but to someone else, maybe so.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
While it sounds good it really has little use as most phones cannot be charged wirelessly.
For those that can use wireless charging....leaving your phone in a Starbucks even for a second unattended is a problem waiting to happen.
Lastly, if this was a quick charge technology it might make sense but otherwise it's almost useless

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
bushman, the idea is not to leave anything unattended, it's to grab some charges when you can. It's not sitting at Starbucks (or anywhere else) to charge from 2% to 100%. It's about going from XX% to XX+some% while you're hanging out in a place like that. Lots of people grab a few minutes for a coffee. Lots of people sit for 30-60 minutes for lunch, maybe again for dinner. With a solution like this, all that time they are idle, their devices could be charging. Instead, in many situations, the devices are trickling power away while their owner's drink or eat or socialize (the old fashioned way).

If you look around, you see the wired version of this everywhere. People trying to plug in for a little while to grab some juice before they have to move on.

Conceptually, if wireless charging pads like this could be everywhere (like sockets for wired charging now), the ability to charge a little and move then charge a little more and move, etc could keep devices without "whole day" batteries usable for the whole day. I suspect that's the primary goal of this.

Of course, if you have a pad at home, you might find it more convenient to put an iDevice to bed on that pad (rather than plugging it in) at night and wake up to a full charge. Or if you would hang out at a place like Starbucks for many hours, you could probably charge from 2% to 100% this way too.

I'd suggest that this is far from useless. Instead, I think it's far more useful than having less-than-whole-day batteries conk out so that you don't have a usable phone until you can find a socket, USB brick and wire to get some juice. Your "most phones" argument applies, but that's chicken & egg. If Apple would put it in all iDevices, that single chicken would yield a lot of eggs.

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles
As charge mats need power at the table/bar or whatever, why don't they just have USB Ports?
This does not alienate non-iphone/samsung s% users, and let people charge say, iPads.
Wireless charge charging was attempted in some Train Station kiosks in the UK, only to find most people walked away with the connectors.

because waterproof

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Oh great.... now they will wonder why we don't have them at Target next to our Starbucks.

And we apparently only have 1 corner with a plug in that area - because that is the corner everyone that hangs out there sits in. And yes, people linger in the Target Cafe. I was shocked!

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Hopefully the iPhone 6 will support wirelessly charging out of the box without a case.

Seems unlikely given Apple's obsession for thinness. I recall a story here a couple of years ago where they thought about wireless charging, but dismissed it because it would make the phone thicker.

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
Who hangs out in a Starbucks long enough for wireless charging to have an impact? Unemployed actors? Aspiring writers?:confused:

Not to mention C- students, wannabes, and countless people who are so frugal that won't buy in-car chargers. Bring a refill cup, pay $0.50 for coffee while charging phones.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Starbucks to Roll Out 100,000 Wireless Smartphone Chargers at 7,500 U.S. Stores

A little off topic here, but If you go to starbucks and say you're visiting from canada you'll get a free coffee.
I don't like the idea of leaving my phone on a table in a restaurant, let alone having to buy a case for this to work. doubt you'll be in Starbucks long enough for your phone to charge.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
For Starbucks this seems like an easy way to get additional traffic into their stores and for customers to stay longer which increases spending. Not sure what the the deal is for Duracell, but I am sure they are getting compensated beyond just the market recognition. And I am sure this will drive some phone case sales for iPhone users.

For me, I never linger in Starbucks long enough for this to be useful, but put this in airports where I am often waiting for a plane and all outlets are being used by other people charging their phones and I would be very interested.

An even better way would just be to provide USB ports in the tables. That way you only need your lightning cable not a Duracell case that takes so long to charge you will never leave Starbucks.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Who hangs out in a Starbucks long enough for wireless charging to have an impact? Unemployed actors? Aspiring writers?:confused:

Have you ever been in LA? :cool:

Starbuck$ needs ways to keep pulling in customers as they've pretty much become just another fast food type of place. Their deal is to create a place for you to feel comfortable hanging out.

Any Sbux near a college is usually busy with students who are repeat customers, near businesses you'll find business types, and so on.

I can understand college kids hanging out but never understood the reasoning by businesses to interview job applicants at a Starbucks, and yet sadly I see it often.

----------

Or just get Mophie case and you can do this anywhere.

Have a Mophie that was really great until I plugged in the mini USB cable one day and the plug just went 'snap' and broke internally. Now I have a mint Mophie that won't work. Maybe wireless would be better...

But I liked the extra battery for those days when I was using the phone a lot and not able to get to power or stay long enough to recharge the phone.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Condition of use:
"Starbucks reserves the right to use and download your contact list and enable geolocation on your phone."

[ACCEPT] [I DON'T CARE]​

:D

Joking aside, I used to be worried about that when I saw shady-looking charging stations at shopping centres until I went to charge it on a public computer when it suddenly popped a notification up on my phone asking permission. Once I denied it the phone went into charge-only mode and that was the end of it.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013

If I need to wait for a bus or something I'll often go into the closest coffee place because there is abundant seating and it's almost always relatively quiet. Anyways, if you are at 5-10% charge, 20 minutes of charging can mean the difference between your phone dying while sending a text and being able to browse the web while you sit in traffic*.

How fast is wireless charging anyways? You may have a point.

*I don't advocate doing this if you are actually the one driving.

----------

Not to mention C- students, wannabes, and countless people who are so frugal that won't buy in-car chargers. Bring a refill cup, pay $0.50 for coffee while charging phones.

Not all people have cars.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I think it's great that Starbucks has a designated place for phones, now. So much easier for the thieves to find them.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
What kind do you have? I didn't get the Orb when I bought my Nexus 4 because $60 was outrageous. I'm using a flat charger that has a light to indicate when it's in the right spot, and of course the phone chirps to confirm. But I've also had both confirm that charging has begun, and a few minutes later, it's stopped even though the phone hasn't vibrated, such as for a call.

The wireless charging process also takes at least twice as long. That's another reason why I rarely use it.

I have the "official" Nexus charger: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GN1YKBU , which is now a small flat square. It charges pretty much equally as quickly as the wired charger. Maybe they learned and improved on the Nexus 4 setup. It has worked really well for me for about six months. I suppose YMMV, but I couldn't be happier.

Edit: Hey what's up with Macrumors hijacking my link and putting it through some referral junk?

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
It's actually a pretty cool feature. My wife and I walked into one of the test Starbucks close to our house in San Jose, Ca. We both have iPhone 5s and Starbucks gave us both Duracell charging cases for free. We were told that Duracell was letting them give away some cases as part of the testing.

The charging stations are built right into the tables. It worked really great but I must admit that I didn't like the look or feel of the Duracell case. It wasn't a case that I would want to use all the time. I travel to much to carry around several cases.

I wish they had adapters that would charge iPads also. I could really use that..

Some of us hang out in Starbucks because we travel for business and really don't want to finish that late night keynote in a lonely hotel room..

All in all it's something that I think will work great for Starbucks customers if they can make better looking cases or maybe a lighting type plug adapter.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
That pic on page one of the guy with the iMac set up in starbucks, all I can say is Wow, seriously?....but why on earth am I totally NOT serprised.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
The Conyers Starbucks has a guy who sets up video equipment and his Mac equipment every day. I'll bet he'd love a wireless charging station.

DSC_0050.JPG

Writer at home at Starbucks

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
First of all, when I go to Starbucks in the morning, my phone is charged above 98%. Second, the time spent in Starbucks and the amount of charge you'd get while there would not contribute enough to make it worth while. And last, anyone that can't manage their phone battery enough to need to rely on a gimmick like this needs far more than this to make it through the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.