Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdodd

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
While OpenOffice has announced a preliminary build for OS X, I think Star Office will be the key to corporate adoption. Medium-Large Enterprises will prefer to buy Star Office with the additional features and support from Sun.

This one piece of software could make a big difference in improving corporate acceptance of Mac OS X.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I love Star Office it was the only program on my PC I did not mind using. It is way better than MS Office in my Opinion.

goldmember

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Vancouver, WA
StarOffice may be great an all, but if MS discontinues Mac Office apple will take a very, very, very big hit in market share. Plus, one of their main points in the switch campaign is that you can run Word, Excel, etc.

All I can say is, thank god for the DOJ, eh comrades?

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Where is that Sunday newspaper??

I could have swore that I saw advertised this last week a:

"Buy a new Mac and get a [free] copy of ____ Office" (not Microsoft) being advertised in someone's glossy color weekly sales circular.

Probably would have been CompUSA, Office Depot, Staples, OfficeMax, etc - the usual local suspects. But in checking their online PDF's of their supposedly current circular, I can't find it.

I'm going to have to dig up the hardcopy out of the recycling bin at home - and confirm that I wasn't going crazy.

...or did someone else also notice this? :confused:

-hh

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
I'd really like to see Sun and Apple build a strong realationship. StarOffice is pretty damn good. I've heard the new version is quite different form 5.2. From what I was told by my friend that works at sun, version 6 is separate programs like M$ Office. I was disappointed in that because I liked the way 5.2 was all in one. However, I shouldn't say anything until I try version 6.

If this works out, then Apple will really need a new browser. I'm not a fan of IE or NN. They should include something like Opera. It bugs me when I view a website and it only works well in IE on the PC. It happens too often.

Go Apple & Sun.

Lz0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2002
Melbourne
Two day's ago I saw a demo of an "Office" like piece of software. It wasn't Star Office or Open Office, but I can't remember what the name was. It looked very pro and ran quickly on a eMac and saved and opened in the .doc ect formats.

The sales guy said it would be available within two weeks on a CD with documentation for $99 AUD ($50 or so USD).

If anyone knows more please let us know, and I'll try to remember the name???

benjaminpg

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
There is a new office package, I think only for OS X. It's called Free Office. Perhaps that is what was in the ad. I noticed they sell it at CompUSA. Unfortunately it isn't free, despite the name, although it's much cheaper than MS Office, $50 I think. In addition those of you looking for a decent word processor that does more than apple works, Mariner Write is a great piece of software.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
when i was working at best buy just the other week, (i quit because i'm moving) i noticed a customer took all of the copies of StarOffice and covered up the copies of Microsoft Office with them...i thought it was a pretty funny joke by someone who hates microsoft. so i just sat back and laughed about it after watching him do it and left them until the later that night when we had to straighten the store up.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
im a fan

I'm a big fan of StarOffice and I hope to see it for OS X very soon. I use StarOffice all the time and I even switched over a Microsoft Employee from a Free version of MS Office to StarOffice 5.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.