Start as new on iphone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yoohoo, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Yoohoo macrumors newbie

is there a way to keep all my contacts but "start as new iPhone"

i heared from previous threads that it may be more beneficial to start as new

any advice?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Urban legend. I have no problem restoring from a backup.

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Sure. iCloud syncing - or any other type of syncing solution.

With that said, I don't see any reason not to restore from a previous backup...

4. Yoohoo thread starter macrumors newbie

i heard again i repeat i heard that restoring from a back up from a previous phone can transfer some bugs from previous phones and thus limit speed and battery life

5. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

I'm going to at least start off by restoring from a backup. Worse that can happen is that I have problems and I then restore and start new.

6. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I started As New this time. The heck with keeping all the texts.

As far as contacts go I had already set that up to sync with iCloud so it was easy to get them back on the new phone.

7. parrot5 macrumors 6502

Do a restore and then a Reset Network Settings or Reset *whatever* Settings from Settings. ;)

8. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Not true, I've set up multiple phones as new AND from backups and there is absolutely no difference. I only restore from backups anymore. It's so nice to have everything as it was before with all your info, settings, etc.

9. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

The possibilities of what restoring from backup can do on new phones is always mostly unknown for the first few weeks. Last year, people who restored from backup ended up with voice control instead of Siri, among other things.

It's not an urban legend at all. It's always safer to not restore from a backup on a new phone, because even if there's a 95% chance restoring from a backup won't mess anything up, there's a 100% chance setting up as new won't mess anything up

10. truciet macrumors 6502

Yup.

Really the rule is if you previously jailbroke your phone, do not restore from back up on a newer model. It will keep all of Cydia's setting and whatever tweaks you did.

It's already been stated too that Cydia has to be placed somewhere else in the system with iOS 6 so a restore from back up will most likely screw your phone up sooner or later.

In the end, setting up as a new phone is always 100% safe and better. Just take 15 minutes of your time to setup your settings/apps :)

11. Yoohoo thread starter macrumors newbie

i never understood the process of setting up anything with iCloud haha so i never use it haha guess i gotta do some exploring

12. Thatcher macrumors member

I went from my 4S to the 5 without any issues, ,just restored from backup and everything worked fine.

I even changed network providers and all the carrier settings updated when the restore finished.