Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clindner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
I am planning to make a move to AT&T, and given that the iPhone 5 might be the greatest thing ever in the universe, I would like to get it when it comes out.

I need to transition to AT&T before that will happen, therefore I was planning on picking up an older iPhone from eBay or wherever and using that until the 5 is released.

So, my question is: Will that work? Will they let me as a new customer come with my own phone such that I can get the contract price for the new phone when it is released?

Thanks!

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Sure, why not? You'll just go month by month, and when the 5 comes out, then you'll sign a contract for 2 years.

clindner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Well, the reason I asked is that the only info I could google was a few years old, and there seemed to be some difference of opinion about whether it would be allowed.

Common sense would seem to indicate that it would work like you say, but some folks don't have common sense, right? :D

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I am planning to make a move to AT&T, and given that the iPhone 5 might be the greatest thing ever in the universe, I would like to get it when it comes out.

I need to transition to AT&T before that will happen, therefore I was planning on picking up an older iPhone from eBay or wherever and using that until the 5 is released.

So, my question is: Will that work? Will they let me as a new customer come with my own phone such that I can get the contract price for the new phone when it is released?

Thanks!

You could also join AT&T, buy an iPhone 4S on contract now, then sell it on Craigs or eBay when the 5 is announced- and make about enough to pay for the iPhone 5.... you'll only be short about what you're willing to pay for an old iPhone now.

That way, you'll have the latest iPhones the whole time and, with your contract starting that much earlier, you'll be that much closer to an upgrade in the future.

Not to mention, you're not left stuck hoping and praying that the iPhone 5 (or whatever it's called) is the bestest thing ever!

clindner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
You could also join AT&T, buy an iPhone 4S on contract now, then sell it on Craigs or eBay when the 5 is announced- and make about enough to pay for the iPhone 5.... you'll only be short about what you're willing to pay for an old iPhone now.

That's an excellent point! So, I am guessing the no contract price on iPhones is about $400 higher than for contract then?

Another benefit would be that the phones would be under warranty, rather than not...

That will keep my kids happy, because they didn't like the idea of starting with older phones!

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
OP, that's exactly what I did. I wasn't impressed with the difference between an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 4s so I bought an iPhone 4 on eBay that had AppleCare on it and signed up for service with AT&T. Whenever the iPhone 5 comes out, I'll pick it up. Only thing to keep in mind is that I believe there was a delay in Apple releasing the no-contract iPhone in the US after it went on sale under contract.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
IIRC you can but you miss out on certain things if you don't sign on with a contract. I don't recall the specifics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.