Start up always in update

damschwartz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2018
Madrid
Hello there.
I guess at some point i agree to download the Mojave update, while i actually didn't want to update, i just migrated to HS and don't intend to update.

I erased the installer from the app folder, but my computer always boots in the update mode, i have to always start with the option key pressed to start my HS drive. When i start with the option key it gives me the option to start in the macOS installer or my normal HS drive.

I also noticed a folder called macOS install data has been created, and i don't have permission to erase it.

I can't start in recovery HD either if i press command+R

Is there any way to eliminate the issue? i really don't want to update to Mojave, starting always with the option key is a PITA, and reinstalling HS would be a bit of a nightmare, i just went thru all the software authorization and copying my documents and preferences from the older HD.

Brian33

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Try looking in System Preferences-->Startup Disk and make sure you have your HS startup volume selected there.
Normally all bootable partitions would show up there, and whatever you select would be the default boot volume. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the update process hides its bootable volume and maybe ignores that setting while "in the middle" of an update. It's easy to try, though.

I suspect the update process uses an nvram variable to tell the machine which place to boot from. It is possible to view/edit these variables but with my level of understanding there'd be too good a chance of messing something up, so I don't recommend it. I could tell you how to erase the macOS install data folder you found, but again I'm afraid you might end up in a worse situation...

The only other things I can think of are to go ahead with the upgrade, or using a full backup (if you have one) to go back to a point before the Mojave upgrade was started.

damschwartz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2018
Madrid
Mmmm so i'm affraid there would be no easy solution.
I checked startup disk at preferences already, and it is HS drive, but it always boot in upgrade mode to Mojave.

Would there be a way to reinstall High Sierra and not erase the drive ? (soft installed and etc...)

damschwartz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2018
Madrid
If i start without the option key it goes to the apple logo, with the load bar, it takes a while and after that goes to another apple load bar with a "X numer of minutes" reminder, so i guess is the installer of mojave.
When i start with the option key to select startup disk it shows my HSierra HD and a "macOS Installer" drive to boot from.

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
I see. So the installer already ran. Now your Mojave installation is half complete and it's finishing up. I don't think you can do anything now except to let it complete the upgrade. I would be afraid to interrupt it now for fear of data loss. Just Make sure you have a good backup. After it updates, you can erase the disk, reinstall High Sierra, and restore your data.

damschwartz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2018
Madrid
Well, I already skipped the process once that I forgot to start with the option key, and mi Hogh Sierra still is there fully usable...

I can't believe I will actually have to do the install, what a nightmare. :(

Thanks