Start your own country by seasteading

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Doctor Q, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

"Seasteading" is homesteading on the oceans: building new countries outside the territory of any existing government. The idea is being promoted by the Seasteading Institute.

From their FAQ:
    Why seastead?

We believe that current political systems are outdated and work poorly, for two reasons. One is the lack of a frontier - a place to go try out new forms of government (like the crazy new "democracy" which sprung up in far-off America). The other is the lack of mobility on land that happens because people are tied to buildings and buildings are fixed in place, which makes it hard to change states or countries, let alone pioneer. Seasteading fixes both of these.

It opens the oceans as a new frontier for pioneering, a frontier with a fundamentally different quality - fluidity - that lets entire cities be rearranged and reshaped constantly. If you don't like your government, you can literally "Vote with your house" by detaching your seastead and sailing off to another city. In the long run, this will turn the oceans into a laboratory for innovation in social and political systems. No specific ideology is necessary: Seasteads will empower people with a wide variety of beliefs to self-govern and serve as examples (good and bad) for other societies.​
    The Seasteading Institute is run by smart people, with computer degrees from Stanford and MIT and work experience at Google, Sun Microsystems, and PayPal. So maybe their ideas carry some weight. They've certainly thought about it more than I have; I just heard about them and found it to be fascinating reading.

Is anybody interested in living in a country where the rules haven't been determined yet? Do you think a new country on the seas could "work"?

2. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I predict an attack by pirates within 6 months of the creation of any seasteading "country."

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Same here. And no country would be obligated to help them. Plus think about everything they would have to set up and get running. trade agreements, how to get the mail delivered out there. I think it looks good on paper but in reality, not sure they thought of everything.

4. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

They claim otherwise, that pirates would not have much incentive to attack these floating countries, so it's not a prohibitive problem for the seasteading movement.

5. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I believe someone already tried this. I think it was called seaQuest DSV :p

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This was already done years ago on an abandoned oil platform in the North Sea. They even issued their own currency and passports.

Edit: Ah, bugger, the Welsh Wonder beat me to it!

8. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I guess that proves that it's possible. If they'd been further out to sea and had built it all themselves, that would have helped their case for sovereignty.

9. No1451 macrumors 6502

Interesting idea but not sure how feasible it really is. Just for one there are a lot of amenities in cities that we take for granted that would require a lot of effort and work to maintain at sea.

On the plus side it would be wicked cool.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The platform anchored to the sea floor might work, in so far as generating electrical power from tidal movement.

The floating country would hardy be green, in any sense of the word.

11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Oh, I don't know about that. A quick of lick of Soft Sage™ green paint and it'd look quite fetching! :p

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Who's the $$$ angel? Priced any offshore floating platforms, lately? And any notion that piracy would not be a problem--certainly, in the early stages--is a pipedream. Any unarmed group is merely a flock of sheep to the figurative pirate wolves and their RPGs.

Even with some degree of success in some sort of banking system, the narcotrafficantes will show up with some sort of deal, paying in "oro o plombo".

13. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I would be uncomfortable living on a floating hunk of metal, no offense meant to Sealand!:D I'd rather convince a government official somewhere to give me one of their uninhabited islands.

14. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Ummm, excuse me? :confused:

15. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

They are referring to what happened in the 18th century, not in the 21st century.

16. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Hardly new or for that matter a "democracy" though was it.