Starting to dislike the tap to bring up bottom safari bar

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by falkedup, Aug 1, 2013.

1. falkedup macrumors regular

One of my favorite sites, ign mobile, has some ads before you enter the site. They are not scrollable and the only way to continue is to hit the continue to ign bar at the bottom... Guess what that does

Attached Files:

2. falkedup thread starter macrumors regular

The only way to defeat this is to switch to landscape which sort of glitches the ad.

Anyone else think that tapping at the top and scrolling up are enough ways to get the bar to show?

3. dsdevries macrumors member

Seriously, if my favourite site begins to put these kind of huge adds on it's pages, I would ditch it immediately. What kind of profit-focussed company is it anyway?

This is most definitely not an IOS problem. What if the site suddenly decides to make their adds even bigger so it won't even work on iOS 6 anymore. Do you still consider this an iOS problem? Its just a crazy web developer who thinks he can do anything. I wouldn't post complains about it here on this forum, but let the company know of their stupidness instead.

4. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

What an annoying ad!! Definitely not an iOS issue though.

5. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Annoying ad aside, why isn't this a browser issue? The browser should allow you to interact with whatever is presented on the site that is loaded, and if trying to interact with something on the site that appears at the bottom of the browser screen is always troublesome due to the fact that the browser intercepts that interaction to treat it as something aimed at it (to bring up its navigation bar) instead of passing it on to the site, then that's a browser issue.

7. nickharris1992 macrumors member

nickharris1992

I find this feature to be bitter sweet. It nice to have more room on your screen but it sucks when you need to access the bottom bar. I like that you can slide left and right for back and forward pages.

8. GreyOS macrumors 68030

This is a browser issue in that your tap should be interpreted as a button click first and foremost. But I think that's just a bug that could be fixed and not an indictment against tapping to bring up the bottom bar in itself. Or am I wrong?

9. Shuri macrumors 6502

On the new 4" form factor you don't even gain much out of this. It's not like in landscape mode where this actually makes a huge difference. So I'd like to be able to turn this off, but well.. there are worse things in live to complain about :)

10. Mabus51 macrumors 6502

Use the IGN app. It's ads are designed for mobile and less obtrusive.

11. falkedup thread starter macrumors regular

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse

The x is under the top bar...

I know it's not a safari issue this time just thought you guys might get a kick out of it

Attached Files:

12. adm58 macrumors regular

I don't mind switching to landscape if I want full screen browsing. The rest of the time when I'm holding the phone in portrait, I'm usually just looking something up quick, and it's more convenient to have the UI elements persistent on the screen.