All iPads Starting to feel like 1996 Apple in the product space?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CheesePuff, Oct 17, 2014.

1. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

After yesterdays keynote and checking out the updated Apple Store online, it has started to remind me of the pre-1997 restructuring of Apple with Steve where they had countless products and product lines, all doing the same thing.

I can't believe that we now have 3 separate iPad mini models, 2 of which are essentially identical, and 2 of the iPad Air models.

So we now have 5 separate iPad models, each with their own storage and color options, which I can assume is a manufacturing and stocking nightmare for any reseller of Apple as well.

I think it would have been a much better idea to have only the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 for sale, and maybe even just slash prices by $50 and start them at $449 and $349.

2. Quattro7 macrumors member

Quattro7

This is actually what I thought when I saw the complete iPad lineup, especially because the differences and the prices are quit small (for $100 I would always prefer the newest model on these amounts).

But maybe someone can explain Apple their ideas about the subject.

3. BigBear14 macrumors member

I think this is actually more to do with the stalling growth of iPad sales as opposed to Apple's over saturation of products. By offering a lot of choice people can choose the product they want, and having lower margins now, on the mini at least means they can get more revenue out of it. The tablet market has stagnated somewhat, makes it more appealing for people to upgrade from their iPad 2 which they've had for so long.

4. 617aircav Suspended

Please why do you care about this?

5. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

You are 100% correct. The keynote was totally underwhelming... They should have at least previewed the ipad pro or retina air...

As a stock holder, I am somewhat concerned. I know they will be profitable, but the magic doesn't seem the same.

6. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Think Apple should cut off making older devices. The truth is they are flooding the markets. If someone can afford a $250 device they can afford a $350 device.

----------

There wasnt any magic. TC should consolidate the product line seriously.