Starting to understand the beauty of design they have in mind.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bobby Corwen, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

If you look at this video

It's all about the sides. The way everything is darker and sleeker and even more minimal.

I like the aesthetics of the shape, and also the aesthetics of the taper of the roundness coming from the flatness to the sides.

The materials will be the final gauge, but I like it. I could imagine feeling cool with it. Picking it up, admiring it.

Most of all I love the two tone back and the metallic tone of it. It reminds me of a Michael Coors belt material. Or some high fashion elegant accessory.
    ..maybe Prada or something if they made a phone.

The elongated thing is even more pleasant from the back because it creates a soothing ratio.

I'm starting to see what they had in mind when they designed it and I'm starting to like the effect. Seeing videos is a lot more significant than just seeing still photos. The back and sides are significantly beutiful in an understated way. The glass era is over. Long live metallic-ness!!!

2. jsbaugh macrumors 6502

I could take a sharpie to a 4S can create the same look. In the end it looks like a 4S with a longer screen.

3. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Bobby, your post can't be taken seriously because you'd "start to understand" anything Apple designed. You've admitted as much:

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Hmm.

Sounds a lot like Stockholm Syndrome, where someone held hostage begins to have positive feelings for their captor.

5. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

6. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

I honestly thought that. Like I'm starting to see why JI decided to go with that. It's an artistic choice.

We are thinking in terms of Apple vs the Competition.

But he would never think of it that way.

He would just make the device he would want to personally use.

I can kinda start imagining myself liking it too personally when I am alone with it.

Like the two tone and the even more minimalist design.

7. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Dear god...I didn't know whether to laugh at this or feel uncomfortable reading it.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

BobbyCorwen, we know from past posts that you're fairly young, so your bubbling enthusiasm over a device is understandable.

And I like the way it looks, too.

However, for actual use I prefer a device that's ergonomic, with hand fitting curved edges instead of hard blocky ones.

Perhaps that's partly why Apple's own stats from the trial say that 78% of iPhone owners buy a case that covers it.

9. JAT macrumors 603

I'm still trying to picture this. How exactly does a person hold one of these tiny phones in any way that could be described as "hand fitting"? It does not come near my palm in almost any way I might hold it, the palm can't be what people mean. I have held tapered phones, and really never felt any improvement, usually the opposite if the phone is thinner than the i4. When I used a flip RAZR2, I actually preferred it in a case, to make it thicker and give me something to grasp. (I don't have it here, but I believe it is thinner than the i4)

Maybe I hold my phone differently than everyone else.

I would say phones should have a thicker (than the i4/4s) edge, not thinner. For ergonomics. I don't really want it thicker due to other reasons like weight, fit in pocket, etc.

I tend to hold my i4 with my thumb parallel to the longest dimension of the phone, or at a slight angle to this. My thumb is about twice as wide as the i4, making it tricky to find the right spot occasionally, and I have to re-grip it. Making it narrower would increase the likelihood of this occuring. (I have a similar issue with the tiny pedals in most cars, my 15EEs slip off the edge far too often)

Frankly, the best ergonomics would be a concave edge to match the shape of fingers, and improve lateral grip. Never have I seen such a thing on a naked cell phone.

10. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

I guess they are afraid of the glass breaking. But me, I always go with a naked iPhone setup. Why? Because I want to see the device.

I want to enjoy its beauty. Its simplicity.

----------

What that was the most analytical assessment of device holding I've ever read!

To me I just do things naturally. I have a few questions for you:

Is that how you think things through at all times?

How old are you and where did you grow up?

Do you play sports?

Tell me more about yourself... Your outlook on things. You intrigue me...

11. RenoG macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

12. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

That was the most analytical, well composed criticism I have ever faced.

13. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Looking forward on seeing the final product but from the looks of it so far I like it.

15. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Ya'll gonna see 1000’s of these type of threads when the phone is released. The screen is like a crystal ball when people look into it. Its the same gui and overall look year after year, but once you dish out that cash and sign that contract for 2 more years...It's a you MUST justify that purchase.

16. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I can not be convinced that the two toned back looks good. If it serves some cool purpose, great. Otherwise if it is really just a design choice, I think it was a bad move.

17. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

pretty sure i just watched a video of some guy messin around with an iphone 4/4s :eek:

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

To many they must justify their purchase, not everyone.
    Some of them sound like they try to convince themselves that they did the right thing or its the best option for their situation etc....
    To me I dont care what other people think and dont feel like I have to explain anything to anyone.
    If I like it I buy it, that's all.

19. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

20. Nioxic macrumors regular

im honestly more interested in the technical specifications..

the design is fine.. but i also loved the first iphone, and the 4 especially.

21. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

If you compare the band on the new iPhone compared to the 4 and 4S you can see they have given you an "angle" to make it more comfortable in the hand.

I appreciate what the OP is saying and I agree. There are many subtle differences that will make this phone a joy to use.

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

23. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Bobby, you are starting to scare the S### out of me!!!!

Wow.... just ....wow...... *searches for the very concerned and worried emoticon and finds there just aren't any to do this justice*

24. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

That's how it goes.

As a leak(which everyone hated at first) becomes more and more real and it really may be Apple who made it, the more people start to "understand" it.

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

If the leaks are real, and it sounds like they are, I suspect that the real changes to the phone will be internal. The more I read about the new iPhone there more potential I think it has. I get the feeling that even though the external appearance probably isn't changing much, the user experience might.

Still, I wonder about the wisdom of limiting the screen size. It just doesn't make sense to me ... unless the iPhone 5 docks with the new 7" iPad, thereby forming the CPU and GPU for the tablet. Remember, you heard it here first. :p