State cop shoots at minivan full of kids

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Nov 18, 2013.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yet another over-the-top response by cops.

See link below for video.

http://www.krqe.com/news/crime/state-cop-shoots-at-minivan-full-of-kids#.UooMeOTdVvk.twitter

2. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

3. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

While it was clearly idiotic to open fire on the mini van, the driver / family just about went full retard too. Just pull over shut the hell up get your ticket and be on your way. What's so hard about that?

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The mother is a complete moron, and so is the backup officer who was shooting at the back of the minivan. This would have been very ugly if he killed a young child. The officer who pulled them over did everything right, and didn't even seem aggressive. She probably would have just got a warning, now her 14yr old child will be in the system.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Putting the kids in the system because the mother reacted badly (although the reaction in this case is particularly moronic) to a non-offence is totally overkill.

6. remmy macrumors 6502a

I dunno, he pulled a taser on a 14 year old, and some other cop had a pot shot - what was he trying to hit?

Yes the mom is dumb, but you would hope the cop would be a bit better?

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Just the backup officer? It looked like the original officer who smashed the window. That isn't very safe, especially with kids in the car. This is another issue of stupid escalation. The backup officer should automatically lose his job if he fired on unarmed people.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The original officer bashed out the front passenger window where the 14 yr old who already attack him was sitting. The smaller kids were in the back.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's still a stupid overreaction after failing to control the situation. Do you really want to send glass flying at a kid?

10. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

I'm so sick of these stories being told in a manner to make the cops look bad.

The woman drove off before the police had given her permission to. All bets are off if you do that.

I have yet to see a single "police misconduct" story in which I could have been the "victim."

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

It's better than allowing the mother to drive off like a maniac, putting the kids in danger. The cops don't know what the mother and 14 yr old is capable of.

As much as I dislike plenty of cops, with the exception of the trigger happy shooter, they did the right thing.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How is doing 70mph in a 55mph zone an offence?

This is like shooting at a teenager because they run away when you catch them jaywalking.

13. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Oh god, not again. I'm so glad I don't live in that brown, empty wasteland anymore. F*c* that state. APD is even worse than the state cops.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The mom is a complete idiot.

1. Ignored officer's orders to turn off the van, then drove off as the officer went back to his car to process the ticket.

2. Ignored officer's command to exit vehicle after the second stop.

3. Ignored officer's command to turn around so he could cuff her.

4. Drove off again. Led cops on a chase which involved driving on the wrong side of the road. This action could have led to the death of her kids.

I hope the mom is convicted of all the charges against her.

The officers over-reacted by using their baton to smash out a window and shooting at the van as it drove off. They should be disciplined.

15. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

The mum was stupid. And so were the cops. Both should be punished for their dumb knee-jerk reactions.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So the traffic laws should just be ignored and not enforced?:rolleyes:

She was going 15mph over the speed limit and got pulled over for it. The cop told her to turn off her van while he went back to process the ticket. She then thought it was a good idea to drive away. While I agree the cops over-reacted, the whole thing could have been avoided if she had not driven away from the cops in the first place. She should have accepted her responsibility for speeding and taken the ticket. Instead, she went full bore stupid.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

As long as she doesn't get a custodial sentence I agree.

----------

AKA driving at the same speed as everyone else on the road would have if the police car wasn't there.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Irrelevant. The speed limit was 55 and she was doing 70mph. "But officer, every one else is doing it." isn't really a good defense.

19. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Holding aside the stupid behavior by the mother, and the police officer's understandable irritation at her taking off...shooting at a vehicle for a speeding violation, when there is no indication of other crimes committed (e.g. escaping from a serious crime), does seem just a bit over the top.

20. unlinked macrumors 6502a

What an idiot. Just take your fine instead of trying to flee the scene badly and getting your kid a criminal record.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I call BS, like a mini van can even go that fast.:p

22. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure the cop was trying to shoot out the tire. Watching the video it looks like you can see a bullet hit the pavement right by the tire.

The cop should of not fired on the mini van as he should of known there were children or multiple people in the van.

So what if the kid is 14. I didn't see in the video that the cop looked at the kids id to verify his age. He could of been 16 or 18. Bottom line the kid should of not reacted in the way he did but judging from his mother's reaction it is not surprising.

23. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Albeit she shouldn't have fled initially or acted the way she did, but when she did a second time it's because she hadn't expected a cop to act that way, especially after bashing in her windows. Cops in NM are almost trained to shoot at anything that moves, it seems. Suspect or not.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It should be as the safest way to drive is at the same speed as the other traffic.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

She was breaking the law. She got pulled over, like anyone else could have been. And instead of accepting responsibility, she decided the law doesn't apply to her and attempted to leave after the cop told her to turn off her car. That one action precipitated everything else.