State Dept. Inspector General: Powell & Rice Had Classified Info On Personal Emails

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Robisan, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Robisan macrumors 6502

Looks like we're gonna need a bigger jail...

The State Department watchdog says former Secretary of State Colin Powell and the immediate staff of former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice also received classified national security information on their personal email accounts.

~~~

The State Department inspector general made the revelations to Democrat Elijah Cummings of Maryland, senior Democrat on a House oversight committee. Cummings has written Secretary of State John Kerry seeking more information.

According to Cummings' letter to Kerry, the IG is reviewing the records preservation practices of five former secretaries of state and their immediate staffs. The IG says 12 emails being reviewed contained classified national security information — two to Powell and 10 to Rice's immediate staff.

2. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Sounds like the war behind the scenes is getting personal between the Hillary camp and the powers that be.

3. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL! I was just coming back to edit the OP to add that.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Jail them all, I don't see the problem.

5. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Powell & Rice can just say they were classified after the fact.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Just like Clinton.

BL.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

no, because

jail for all.

8. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

That was my point. ;)

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    ...I don't get it. :(

10. thewap, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016

thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

It's Ok If Your A Republican; IOKIYAR
    It's OK if Your A Silly Sheep; IOKIYASS

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I learned something new today! :D

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well hopefully they get the same punishment as Hillary.

13. XrayTed macrumors regular

XrayTed

Interesting, did they happen to have their very own servers stuffed in their bathrooms as well ?

Were they ever known to have wiped their drives ? [And no, not with a handi-wipe !]

What level of classification were they, super duper top secret like Shillary ?

14. 1458279 Suspended

Interesting timing on this story. Just when we're about due to hear from the FBI, two things happen.
    1. the WH comes out and dilutes the impact with the "not with what we know" story.
    2. the media comes out with this "they did too" story.

The inside info must be showing the FBI has bad news for Hillary.

If others did the same, they must be held to the same standard. They Right has had issues with being less than clear, but Hillary really seems to have taken it to a new level.

One of the things we're seeing in this election is that Bernie is being attacked, there's several questions about the vote in IA and Trump/Cruz is being hit by their own side.

Point: every outsider is being hit by their own insiders, if just proves how corrupt the whole system is. I can remember W hitting McCain pretty hard below the belt back when they fought. Can't get into power without playing their game.

The Dems have a very flawed runner, everyone knows it, the polls and vote in IA prove the flaws. They have no backup plan. Much like when Reps ran against Bill's 2nd term.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Actually it shows that this is common practice.

And that's about it.

16. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Talking Points Memo? Not even a good try. Here's what a real news source says:

In a memo, Cummings said, Linick reported the State Department determined last month that 12 emails he reviewed contained classified information. Two went to the personal email account of Powell; 10 to personal accounts used by Rice's staff.

Cummings said that none of the information in the emails was marked as classified at the time they were sent. He said the inspector general raised concerns that more classified information may also be sitting unnoticed in other unclassified State Department archives dating to the Powell and Rice eras.

Powell said both messages to him, which originated with American ambassadors, were not classified.

"The Ambassadors did not believe the contents were Confidential at the time and they were sent as unclassified. That is a fact," he said in the statement.

On Rice's behalf, Georgia Godfrey, her chief of staff at Stanford University's Hoover Institution, said the former secretary of state "did not use email as secretary nor have a personal email account. My understanding is that the report is in reference to emails sent to her assistant reporting diplomatic conversations and they contained no intelligence information."​

17. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502

Dude, try reading. The source in the OP link is the "AP" - the Associated Press.

18. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Dude, the TPM article is an edited version of the original AP article, and they didn't include a link to the original so readers could see what was left out.

Which is why TPM is a silly source to cite.

19. rdowns, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Says the dude who regular cites Breitbart.

20. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Yep, I so say. Of course that fact has nothing to do with TPM's editing news without providing links to sources.

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

They don't need to provide links to sources, if they copied the entire article directly from the Associated Press; meaning, the entire article came directly from the AP. In fact, here's the entire article, with all the relevant information that kills your argument:

Like @Robisan said, read. The source is right there in front of you.

BL.

22. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502

You don't know that. That may have been the totality of the AP report at the time it was released. The AP often released immediate short reports are news breaks, followed later by longer reports.

...adding, Friend of Hamas LOLOL. #AndrewIsStillDead

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead