State Gun Sales Surge

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Nov 11, 2008.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Gun dealers across Connecticut say they've seen their sales double in the week since Barack Obama was elected.
    Gun owners say they fear an Obama administration would make gun control a top priority.

"In the past the Democratic Party has not been terribly friendly to gun owners," said Gary Lemke of Newington Gun Exchange. "President-Elect Obama has stated that he plans to enact restrictions as soon as he possibly can."
    Lemke said military-style guns have been hard to keep in stock, since they're the kind most likely to be limited by legislation.

"People are taking the position that it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it." Lemke added.

The owners of Hoffman's Gun Center in Newington report a similar surge in sales.

"The average American believes that now that the liberal democrats control our entire system of government they will out law them," said Scott Hoffman of Hoffman's Gun Center. "They will put me out of business."

Hoffman said his gun sales have doubled. He expects another rise in customers if and when a law limiting gun sales is proposed.

While some customers appear to be concerned, others aren't rushing to buy a gun.

"We still have a lot of Republicans in the house, so we'll see what we can do with it," said Pat Arrigoni of Rocky Hill.
    http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/State-Gun-Sales-Surge.html

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

oh this is great, just what we need, more guns.

I wont be venturing into hartford anytime soon.

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

No reason to venture there at all really.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well, my mom works there....

and where else am I going to get my drugs? Its literally 3 minutes away by car.

joking about the drugs, you can get anything in town if you look .:p

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Most of the people that buy drugs in Hartford are from out of town.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Maybe it's not due to the political change up - but the smart ones getting guns, so they can get a burger while the rest of us stand in the bread lines. ;)

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ironically, the ones who are buying guns sound pretty paranoid; therefore, they're the ones who probably shouldn't be buying guns.

9. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

This story originated in the New York Times last week. It seems awfully suspicious that within a day or two of Obama's election that any reliable stats can be generated on sales. I think a lot of this is overblown.

mt

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I agree. Pure marketing hype on the part of the gun industry. Fear sells, just ask George Bush.

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I saw this being discussed on a different website and those who were against any such increases in tax cited something called the "second amendment". I don't know about you guys but I am totally glad I live in a country where we value the welfare of the citizens more than a centuries old law.

12. iGary Guest

iGary

Silly considering the Washington DC ruling...

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i'm pretty sure the same effects has been visible with other elections or other events

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The American obsession with guns...will never understand it.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yep, I love my guns.

Unfortunately, you can't have them here in Japan, so they are safely stored in the US.

When I visit my guns, er. the US, I look in on them. :)

And if I were in the US now, I would be stocking up on various types that I would want to have before changes go into effect.

16. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Can the GOP please quit with its constant and unending propaganda against "the evil left, liberal, Democrats"?

I mean, jeez, every single election cycle there are tons of ads from the NRA talking about "Dem Dems gonna take way yer guns! Vote McCain, git-r-done or we are all done, son!"

And no one seems to remember that the 2nd Amendment basically, in some ways, guarantees you the right to own a gun. Now, if you want to complain about how people take away your "right" to own an assault rifle, go right ahead...you dont need one, you just want it and thats not a right.

NO ONE, liberal or conservative, could ever stop Americans from owning a gun. What type of gun remains to be seen, but if it fires bullets, why are you so upset it just doesnt fire them at 3000 a minute?

I believe in the Constitution. And Im not one of those types who picks and chooses things out of a document (cough, cough, the bible) that only go with what I like and believe. I may not like the 2nd amendment, but all the rest are worth just as much. Belittling one, belittles them all.

17. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Assault rifle sales were banned last time the Dems had control of congress and the presidency. Bush overturned that law as one of his first acts. It makes sense the Dems will bring it back asap.

Time to buy an AR-15 or AK-47 while you still can.

18. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

You either have a VERY short memory... or never knew the truth to begin with. I'm glad you seem to care what the constitution says... but a lot of people don't. Heck, I'm sure you'll get several liberals in this thread alone who will tell you right to your face that they don't agree that the constitution allows for gun ownership by the public, and are very staunchly for gun control laws (many of which were recently repealed by the Supreme Court).

You make it sound like no liberal has ever tried to limit gun rights. :eek:

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Pardon me for asking, but isn't gun violence increasing in the UK?

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Certainly is :( Never the less, it's still very different. Guns are increasingly being used by gangs and criminals, but the general population doesn't have and doesn't seek gun ownership.

21. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

But if we get rid of guns, what will happen to Quentin Tarantino?

"Do they speak English in What?"

P-Worm

Attached Files:

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We can't get rid of guns, just like we can't get rid of drugs. Never going to happen no matter how much people may try. Prohibition doesn't work and never will.

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Not quite. It was allowed to expire in 2004 by the then-Republican controlled Congress.
    The Supreme Court doesn't repeal laws.
    Best line in any movie, ever.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's okay to love your guns, just make sure you don't LOVE your guns.

Counterfit beat me to it but it bears repeating, the ban was not overturned, rather it was allowed to sunset in September 2004.

Interestingly, H.R. Bill 6257 was introduced in June 2008. This bill would reinstat the ban, extend its terms indefinitely, and add more weapons to its list.
    Guess who sponsored it?

Rep Castle, Michael N. - [R DE-1]
    Rep Ferguson, Mike - [R NJ-7]
    Rep Ros-Lehtinen, Ileana - [R FL-18]
    Rep Shays, Christopher - [R CT-4]

Ascribing gun control as a Democratic idea only is wrong, both parties do it when they see political advantage in doing so.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- anybody remember the Brady bill? Republican.