State legislator wants William Ayers fired from UIC

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Feb 5, 2009.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh lord. Here we go with the right wing loonies. If you thought Rush was foaming at the mouth...

Unless I'm mistaken, Ayers was never convicted of anything.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-bill-ayers-legislation05feb05,0,278546.story

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Guilt by association. Charming.

Next week, Teh French System™, guilty until proven innocent.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm trying to think of how this would work. If you're merely suspected of doing something, you lose your job? Or does it have to be proven first?

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Well, they couldn't derail Obama, so now they will derail anyone that Obama even looked at.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

In other news, I have introduced a bill that gets wingnuts removed from office as they are clearly not capable of doing their job without letting petty partisanship get int the way.

Any backers?

Honestly this kind of thing makes me sick.

6. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I'm there. I really wish there was a way to enact our Constitutional right to dissolve the government and make a new one. I really can't stand how this one we have works.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

This is just the beginning. Get ready for lots more stupidity. This has always been the right's MO- they can't win on issues, so they go for character assassination. One of these days, maybe they'll finally figure it out and get some ideas. Until then, we'll be stuck with more of this petty foolishness.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, they are all lawyers. Kick the bums out for consorting with undesirables.

9. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I don't see this going anywhere. Out of all the professors, assistants, etc. etc. at public universities how many would this apply to? I'm guessing a fraction of 1%.

Just shows politicians love fighting for inane issues.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course. It distracts people from the fact that they aren't doing their jobs.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Boy are you optimistic.

12. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

If I'm not mistaken, he admitted to setting bombs and committing other terrorist acts and said he would do so again and wish he had done even more.

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You are mistaken. It's worth reading what Ayer's quotes to see how different they are before going through the right wing propaganda filter.

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Yes you are mistaken.

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You're completely wrong. Stop listening to Limbaugh and Hannity, man. Go find out for yourself. Find out what the guy really said before you listen to those liars.

16. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

According to the NY Times article, Ayers said

again, that's from a NY Time article from 2001.

In a New Yorker article published this past November, it says the following about Ayers:

So he's pretty much admitting he said it, and then says that he's never been responsible for violence against other people, but in the 2001 interview said that he bombed the Pentagon. I wouldn't believe a thing he says.

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Once again, you take things out of context, as did the NYT. He was talking about the fact that he wished he'd done more to protest the war, but you may choose to believe what you want. And the quote you post in no way has him "admitting it". Quite the opposite. Fact is, the guy is a damn good professor, has done a lot for the city, wasn't convicted of anything, and obviously has not been involved in any "terrorist" activity since then.

18. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Out of context? Did he not say "I don't regret setting bombs"? or "Everything was absolutely ideal on the day I bombed the Pentagon"?

The "we didn't do enough" could be interpreted a number of ways, but "I don't regret setting bombs" is pretty clear cut. There's really no taking that out of context.

I never said he was/wasn't convicted or is/isn't a terrorist. I'm merely talking about him saying one thing, and then another.

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Christ- for the last time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Ayers

Again- you can believe what you want. I'm choosing to believe the guy because of how he's conducted his life for the last 40 years. If you don't think that's proof enough, that's your problem.

20. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I cared less about the guy and thought the Republicans needed to cool it on this issue. Then I heard Terry Gross' Fresh Air interview of him. While I still think the Republicans went way too far for what they were trying to accomplish (and failed at miserably), this guy - by his own words - absolutely disgusts me. I hope he loses his job.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=97112600

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

He won't. Nor should he. If we're going to start firing people for things for which they haven't been convicted, we're in big trouble.

Can you find transcript for that link? Some of us are at work and can't listen to audio.

22. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I don't know how to find the transcript. Sorry. I recommend, if you can find the time, to actually listen to it over the weekend. Perhaps the transcript would do it justice, perhaps not.

As for people losing their job sans a conviction, happens every day, most recently with your governor.

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It's a bit different when you're an elected official and you're caught on tape already. Blago is not going to be acquitted.

24. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

So he's protesting something that made him look bad, shocker. Why hasn't he countered with what was actually said if the NYT article was misquoting him?

You can believe what you want, that's fine. In the past 40 years he's admitted to bombing places, if that's cool by you then fine. I don't sympathize with many bombers though.

25. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

He did. Did you read the wiki article at all?

Lots of people did awful things in the 60's, including our own government. Have all those people been fired from all their jobs? Because if you're going to do this to this guy, you have to do it to them all.