State of AT&T Unlimited Throttling Late 2013??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by megapopular, Oct 26, 2013.

1. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Can people using AT&T iPhone with unlimited data share what's happening in regards to data? I'm currently at 6.5 gb with no throttling so far, currently getting between 18-53 Mbps depending on location/ signal strength here in Syracuse, NY.

2. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Most people say its based on demand on the cell tower you are closest to. Therefore, if a lot of people are using it at the same time as you, you would get throttled in speed. I honestly have no idea.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I went over 5GB for two months in a row, and then was throttled for the first time last month. From what I've read, once you are throttled it seems after that point you get throttled every month thereafter(if you go over the cap) However, if someone was throttled one month and then not another--it would be interesting to hear.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's definitely demand-based, but more likely based on a combination of the market you're in and the specific cell sites you use data most from. If either are high-congestion, then AT&T will be strict about the cap. If not, then they'll be more lax.

Basically, if you're an LTE Unlimited customer, expect the cap at 5GB and count your blessings if it doesn't happen.

5. megapopular thread starter macrumors 6502a

The reason I asked is because I was throttled last month but this month I wasn't... I was wondering if they possibly throttled customers for the iPhone 5c 5s launch then set it free again. I was throttled this month for 1 day then was back to regular speeds the next day. I'm up to 6.5 gbs this month and haven't been throttled for 3 days.