State of the Union address tomorrow.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/26/news/economy/obama_state_of_the_union_deficits/

It has been said that Obama will freeze all non-defense discretionary spending, which is exactly what I thought he gave Mccain trouble for when he proposed it during the campaign (Using a hatchet when we need a scalpel IIRC.)

What do you expect to hear out of the state of the union? Its obvious he would have liked to have some form of health reform passed by now, but that doesn't look possible.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
The most attention I will be paying to it is making sure not to work late and get stuck not being able to catch the train because of "authorized access pedestrian walkways."

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
What do you expect to hear out of the state of the union? Its obvious he would have liked to have some form of health reform passed by now, but that doesn't look possible.
I expect to blame the previous Administration at least three times for something.

We have a better chance at real health reform going forward than what they were doing before.

I expect the usual class warfare declarations while allowing Congress to pass laws with so many loopholes that all their campaign donations go unaffected but the masses think the rich are getting soaked.

In other words, I figure he will blame everyone else and claim some hollow victories that cannot be substantiated .

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I expect to blame the previous Administration at least three times for something.

We have a better chance at real health reform going forward than what they were doing before.

I expect the usual class warfare declarations while allowing Congress to pass laws with so many loopholes that all their campaign donations go unaffected but the masses think the rich are getting soaked.

In other words, I figure he will blame everyone else and claim some hollow victories that cannot be substantiated .
So- in other words, he'll sound like a Republican?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Link

Barack Obama flatly rejected an across-the-board spending freeze when John McCain advanced the idea during the last debate of 2008 held at Long Island's Hofstra University.

MCCAIN: OK, what -- what would I cut? I would have, first of all, across-the-board spending freeze, OK? Some people say that's a hatchet. That's a hatchet, and then I would get out a scalpel, OK?

Because we've got -- we have presided over the largest increase -- we've got to have a new direction for this country. We have presided over the largest increase in government since the Great Society.

Government spending has gone completely out of control; $10 trillion dollar debt we're giving to our kids, a half-a-trillion dollars we owe China. [snip]

OBAMA: Well, look, I think that we do have a disagreement about an across-the-board spending freeze. It sounds good. It's proposed periodically. It doesn't happen.

And, in fact, an across-the-board spending freeze is a hatchet, and we do need a scalpel, because there are some programs that don't work at all. There are some programs that are underfunded. And I want to make sure that we are focused on those programs that work.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
It isn't an across-the-board spending freeze. It's just on a few things, and there are exemptions for defense, healthcare and stimulus (and a second stim, should one ever be needed). It's not what McCain proposed at all.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It isn't an across-the-board spending freeze. It's just on a few things, and there are exemptions for defense, healthcare and stimulus (and a second stim, should one ever be needed). It's not what McCain proposed at all.
Details haven't even been released yet, how do you know this?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
A lot of BS is what I expect. I won't be watching. I'm not interested in words anymore. I'm interested in deeds.
I am with you. So far all I have seen really out of Obama is mostly words or "feel good" actions.

The job market is in a worse spot than when he took off and still shedding near 6 figures a month.
His promises have become hollow.
I think people are seeing the truth that Obama is nothing more than another lieing politician and nothing has changed.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8480205.stm

"Officials have told US media that defence, some healthcare programmes and the massive economic stimulus package will be unaffected."
Only 42% of the stimulus funds are left if recovery.gov is right. That leaves us cutting everything besides health care (I assume medicare is what they are talking about), social security, and a few other things.

I don't know that defense should be totally exempt either, id like to see us pull out of a few countries to save some more money.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I am with you. So far all I have seen really out of Obama is mostly words or "feel good" actions.

The job market is in a worse spot than when he took off and still shedding near 6 figures a month.
His promises have become hollow.
I think people are seeing the truth that Obama is nothing more than another lieing politician and nothing has changed.
Unfortunately it's the morons in the Senate preventing anything from getting done. Obama just can't make things happen, he has to work with the congress he has, and with a psuedo-Democratic majority in the Senate (really, we have 53 or 54 at best, with 60 required for cloture) not much can get done. That's why we need to dump the filibuster, all it does is stall progress.

He's been prez for ONE year after taking over a completely screwed up system.

I'll give him a couple more years.
Me too. It took Bush 8 years to make this mess. It's probably going to take just as long to clean it up.

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
What do you expect to hear out of the state of the union?
As our leader expounds upon his SOTU Address, better known as "The Audacity of Cluelessness," I expect we'll hear a lot about:

It's Bush's Fault...

Let Me Be Clear...

Make no mistake...

Bankers are evil...

I apologized and bowed to...

It's Bush's Fault...

It won't happen overnight...

Citizens in all 57 states of this nation....

We will continue our translucency...

It's not about me but I...

It's Bush's Fault...

Massachusetts voters are anti-American...

Saved or created 300 million jobs...

Progress in the War Against Fox News...

Let me be absolutely clear...

____ acted stupidly...

I want to give a shout out to ____...

It's Bush's Fault...

I'm proud to introduce Hope-N-Change Beta II....

Let me be very clear...

"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it."

It's Bush's Fault...

Regarding all those campaign promises... just kidding...

Thank you....

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
As our leader expounds upon his SOTU Address, better known as "The Audacity of Cluelessness," I expect we'll hear a lot about:

It's Bush's Fault...

Let Me Be Clear...

Make no mistake...

Bankers are evil...

It's Bush's Fault...

It's Bush's Fault...

____ acted stupidly...

It's Bush's Fault...

Let me be very clear...

It's Bush's Fault...

Thank you....
Which is much better than Bush's State of the Union addresses that might as well have been "Hey Cheney, pull my finger....*fart*...Oops too late!"

It's Bush's Fault...

Let Me Be Clear...

Make no mistake...

Bankers are evil...

It's Bush's Fault...

It's Bush's Fault...

____ acted stupidly...

It's Bush's Fault...

Let me be very clear...

It's Bush's Fault...

Thank you....
I think you have to add some “eight years of the previous policies” in there.