State Of The Union Speech

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Populism, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Came to PRSI to read thread on what people were hoping to hear, or heard, in Obama's last State Of The Union speech.

No thread, so starting one.

Did he get the memo that this is a State Of The Union Speech? That he's not eligible to run in 2016?

May not have had the TPS Report cover page.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2016 ---
    I ask because I genuinely don't know - is it common for a president to give autographs on the floor immediately after the State of the Union?

Maybe it is and I've never noticed. Hell, perhaps Bush II started that tradition.

But it's as douchey as anything I've seen.

2. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

A load of exaggerated claims. Typically avoiding addressing the issues most people care about, while painting a rosey picture to make himself look good. The guy is despicable. :eek:

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I liked the speech. Now the Republican Response was the real douchey. Nothing but criticism with no actually plans as an alternate.

4. Populism thread starter macrumors regular

Populism

I'm interested in your thoughts: What part of Obama's State of the Union speech tonight - which part of discussion specifically - concerned the actual state of the union? As opposed to generic campaigning rhetoric.

Specifically. What did he say along those lines.

Not a rhetorical question.

Was it the Autographs Part of the speech?

5. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Nothing unexpected. Setting the stage for his talking points as he supports the dems nominee. If he led as well as he spoke he'd be half good.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I had better things to do than watch Obama stutter reading a TelePrompter. I'll catch the highlights on C-SPAN.

7. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

8. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Sounded like a campaign speech to me with very rosey glasses.

You missed the message then. She cited many of the issues with our country today and the choices we will have to make to right the ship.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That's damn near every SOTU since I can remember.

What were you expecting ..... a complete detailed outline ....play by play? Or is it cause it's Obama, now it's time to scrutinize the purpose of the SOTU address.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2016 ---
    She did nothing but pander to the right.

10. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

obama did nothing but pander to the low information crowd.

11. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

So those problems were only right problems. Got it.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Stop it ... She came out swinging her passive aggression towards Obama from the very beginning.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

14. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

That's funny, many of the things she said, were exactly what Obama said minutes before. Just because you side on the left, does not mean that EVERYTHING someone says from the right is an aggressive attack on your world. Maybe you should take Obama'a recommendation and set aside your differences so that we can move forward.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I'd expect that to be resolved shortly. Boh sides don't want it to become an issue right now. Reuters even had a piece saying behind-scenes discussion had already occurred.

16. Older bird macrumors regular

Older bird

I watched Deliverance on Sundance channel, great movie...oh and holding 10 soldiers hostage is traditionally an act of war, but we won't talk about that. Mustn't offend the Iranians, they might reject our nuclear deal. What a damn joke this administration is ...

17. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Best romantic comedy ever made!

18. Older bird macrumors regular

Older bird

image.jpeg

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

She was condescending through out the whole speech.

And who said I'm left? Gotta love how everybody who has a favorable opinion about Obama is left or liberal in your eyes. Maybe you should take your own advice.

20. sodapop1, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016

sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Typical blowhards offer nothing but mindless opinions on matters that are well above their I.Q. to understand. Now that the 10 American sailors have been freed, I look forward to the next set of brain farts from the thoughtless and uninformed disgruntled GOP.

21. mudslag, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016

mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

There is a reason for that, as to not create any misconstrued attention or criticism while the issue was being handled. Which is why Nikki Haley also left out any comments. The issue was being worked on behind the scenes as it should have been, not out in the public eye and clearly it was worked out as the sailors were released.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2016 ---

Dont think we have much to worry about atm, Iran is following through with the agreement so far.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35285095

Dealing with Iran diplomatically is working so much better than an invasion. No soldiers lost, no trillions of dollars going to waste.

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

What a damn joke this post is and the right-wing rhetoric over this situation has been.

There was no hostage situation. The Iranians basically helped the US sailors fix their boat, gave them a place to stay for the night, and sent them on their way. Huge victory for diplomacy and Obama's deal.

On topic of the speech last night, I thought it was one of Obama's better speeches.

23. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

What tells me you are left is "condescending", she hurt your feelings.

24. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well watch it yourself:

25. Older bird macrumors regular

Older bird

"Guys with guns in the back of pickup trucks are nothing to worry about" B.Obama

Basically he is STILL calling ISIS the "JV team"

One of his better speeches? Sleep on....