State Rep. Wants Tenn. Constitution To Say That 'Our Liberties' Come From God

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Feb 16, 2015.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well I guess he forgot who elected him and the oath he swore.

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/109/Bill/HJR0071.pdf
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/tennessee-constitution-almighty-god

Tennessee state Rep. James VanHuss (R) introduced a resolution that would add a new line to the state constitution acknowledging God, The Tennessean reported.

House Joint Resolution 71 would add a line reading, "We recognize that our liberties do not come from governments, but from Almighty God, our Creator and Savior."

VanHuss' colleague, Rep. Jerry Sexton (R) also introduced a bill last week that would make the Holy Bible the state book.

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness...

Not so strange of a notion.

3. kds1 Suspended

kds1

While some of the original signatories to the Declaration of Independence may have been thinking of some sort of "God" , I think the real gist of what they were trying to say is that you are born with these rights, and no more.

The guy in TN is an idiot.

4. samiwas macrumors 65816

Glad to see legislators working on the truly important issues.

5. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes if you read the rest of it and the first of it then it says it all.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not so strange of a notion, yes..

.. but the Declaration of Independence does leave up to the individual who and what their Creator is.

This representative is wanting everyone to acknowledge that their "Creator" (in this case) is "God", when that may not be the case.

This would run roughshod of the 1st Amendment.

BL.

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    No, but the state can't acknowledge a single religion as the most self evident of all the self evident sources of their liberty.

Our representatives can be Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Atheist whatever. They're free to choose and worship whatever they deem to be worthy, or chose not to worship at all. Nothing bounds them, or their freedom of religion. But by choosing to endorse a religion on the government level, they're potentially limiting someone else's freedom of religion by association.

So it comes down to the basic conundrum that all rights face, and the one thing most of the MAH RIGHTS people seem to miss. You're free to do what you want, so long as that freedom doesn't infringe on someone else's freedom to do what they want.

8. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Notice how they specifically used the word "creator" so as to not to refer to any specific faith. Christians have God, Jews have Hashem or sometimes G-d, Muslims have Allah, native Americans and pagans believe that "God" is Mother Earth. "Creator" is inclusive of any belief or even non-belief that someone may have, the gist of the sentence mean that we are all born with these basic rights (And by all I mean white Protestant male land owners).

This Tennessee proposal on the other hand uses the words "God" and "savior" and "almighty", which are inherently Christian terms in the way which they are used here. It's not the same.

9. kds1 Suspended

kds1

This is true, but that notion can be perverted. Libertarians are quite good at doing that.

10. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

When God runs for election then they'll can do this.

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I can agree with your reasoning. I think using the term "creator" is ambiguous enough and would keep the intent intact and be inline with the founder's accepted languange.

12. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

He did, his name was Ronald Reagan. That was really the second coming. :D

13. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

So the DoI is part of the federal legal code?

14. kds1 Suspended

kds1

The best part is "making the Bible the state book." Do these numbnuts not realise they are putting themselves in the same league as those wreaking havoc in the Middle East who want to create a theocracy in the region?

----------

Republicans worship Reagan because they've had nary anyone to venerate. OTOH, Democratic presidents like Kennedy, Roosevelt and Wilson Are all over the place, and this made Republicans sad :(

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Most modern libertarians, at least those you see screaming about things on the internet, tend not to put much thought into it. They think the enumerated rights are unlimited. It doesn't matter that exercising my rights might infringe on your rights, because if there were a limit, then it's wouldn't really be "freedom", would it?

16. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Abraham Lincoln
    Dwight D. Eisenhower
    Theodore Roosevelt

Pretty big deal names in American history. Abraham Lincoln especially.

17. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Yes, except that Teddy Roosevelt, though nominally a Republican, espoused very liberal ideas, and was a member of the Progressive movement. By todays standards, he would have been a Democrat. Probably Lincoln too.

18. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

One wanting to rewrite history doesn't make it so. There are venerated members of the GOP and DNC.

And Reagan won with landslide victories in two elections. Landslides that any modern president only dreams about.

525 electors in 1984 and 489 in 1980. That's over 90% of the vote twice. Lets not pretend Reagan was just the conservative president. He was the people's president by an overwhelming majority.

19. kds1, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015

kds1 Suspended

kds1

Rewriting history?

Teddy Roosevelt was a Progressive President

Though a member of the Republican Party, he was a RINO by today's standards:

Teddy Roosevelt was really a progressive liberal

Compare the platform of the Progressive Party, founded by Teddy Roosevelt, to the Republican/Tea Party platform and agenda of today:

Progressive Party Platform and Agenda, founded by Teddy Roosevelt

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Goal posts shall not pass!!!

[​IMG]

21. kds1, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015

kds1 Suspended

kds1

I see you have no argument. You see, Republicans don't really like to own up to Teddy Roosevelt. But they loooooooove Reagan, despite all the damage he did to this country. And they want as many things as possible named after him, including a part of the ocean

I'm going to try to find it, but, there was this Republican congressman, who thought that there weren't enough highways, bridges, airports, buildings, schools what have you named after Republican presidents, as there were for Democratic presidents (Kennedy, FDR, Wilson), so he set out on a quest to get as many things as he could named after reagan. I can't remember his name right now.

EDIT: It was not a congressman, but Grover Norquist

22. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The National Debt is something that the modern GOP can get behind:

[​IMG]

23. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

I think this is what it should be changed to, if it must be changed at all.

24. kds1 Suspended

kds1

It doesn't need to be changed.

25. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Not sure of the relevance, but what is the source of that infographic.

Here is one from the treasury.

[​IMG]