State Trooper Gets Just 6 Months For Raping Car Accident Victim

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Jun 18, 2016.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

this guy gets a better deal then that worthless swimmer. hell he can go to jail anytime he wants. what a deal.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...urce=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Equal before the law... right. Someone in that position of responsibility should be made an example of.

3. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I never quite understood these pay-as-you-go timeshare jail sentences. Decide when you want to serve your sentence, go home when you'd like. Doesn't this make things a lot more complicated for the jail with people coming and going? Is that bed reserved for a year even though he's only serving 6 months? Or can they deny your request of specific days you want to stay?

6 months seems ridiculously short. 10 years is the average sentence with 5 years on average actually served. At least he's on the registry. I am assuming he lost his job... Right... Please?

I have little respect for people who use their position of power to commit crimes. A 6 month sentence for something worth 5-10 I feel like is a second crime in itself.

But it sounds like the victim agreed to it. She probably just wanted the whole thing over with and not to be dragged out in an ugly trial. So good for her for doing what's best for her. Shame on the prosecutors though.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. This is a pathetic sentence by the judge. Justice was not served in this case.

5. Huntn, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I won't say it's universal, but outcome based and an assumption, I sense a relationship* between the officer of the law and judge that allowed for this failure of judgement.
    *It might not be a personal relationship, but how the judge feels his entire police force should be treated in combination with a gender double standard.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If the victim actually agreed with it then I'm somewhat ok with it since she probably just wanted to move on.

I do think the prosecution could have gotten him to go with a bit stiffer sentence and still gotten the plea bargain, unless their case is truly terrible.

7. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Absolutely the sentence sounds a bit weak. Granted, I don't really know what a standard plea bargain for rape is. Seems like it should be more considering the officers position in law enforcement. I would hope his career and any financial benefits of it is over, that's not an insignificant punishment.

I know someone who was formerly a ADA earlier in their law career, primarily dealing with juvenile cases though. He said he would never have his daughter or loved one go through the legal proceedings of a rape trail. The level of personal exposure is overwhelming and almost as traumatic as the rape itself.

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

In Husseins America...

Liberal sentences are the norm. Welcome to the neighborhood.

9. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

yes it is always pretty hard on a victim. but it was a pretty much worthless sentence exempt for the registry.

10. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Nice try putting a political (i.e., anti-Obama) spin on this, but I was in EMS in the 80s during the administration of St. Ronnie Raygun and it was the same then. Cops, prosecutors, and judges all consider themselves part of the same "family" and will make sure that members of the "family" are taken care of.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Because Obama has such pernicious influence in Alabama....

12. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

he is like a god. no wonder republicans hate him so much.

13. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Well that figures. State Troopers are already seen as the most worthless, useless, overpaid, miserable effing jerks of law enforcement. They are strictly glorified ticket writers.