Statement by the President on the Terrorist Attacks in Iran

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Jun 8, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I only heard about this statement this morning, but it came out yesterday. The official statement of support for the people of Iran after a deadly ISIS terror attack was this:

We grieve and pray for the innocent victims of the terrorist attacks in Iran, and for the Iranian people, who are going through such challenging times. We underscore that states that sponsor terrorism risk falling victim to the evil they promote.​

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/06/07/statement-president-terrorist-attacks-iran

Think about that second sentence for just a moment. Yes, Iran has funded and is funding groups which explicitly use terrorism as a tool. But Trump here is implying that the terrorists are justified in performing their evil deeds.

Iran may or may not deserve being on the receiving end of what it has doled out for all these years. But man, why should our government be yelling "Rah! Rah! Go ISIS!" after one of their attacks? We should never frame any terrorist attacks as being justified for any reason.

2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Ummm I don't see that as Trump justifying terrorism against Iran. I see it as Trump inappropriately saying something to the effect of "you should know better" or "you brought this on yourself" or "I told you so" immediately following words of sympathy.

Are you sure that's from the White House official press statements or is it from Trumps Twitter feed? :rolleyes:

3. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Ah, he should have limited the statement to just words of sympathy. Using what ISIS does as an argument to support your own political views is, in my opinion, of a similar nature to how Assad uses ISIS to prop up his own regime. It's certainly not as egregious, but it is using terrorism to justify your position. And Trump stoops to this level too much! Such as with this tweet from last year:

Screenshot from 2017-06-08 09-24-31.png

4. samcraig macrumors P6

5. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I can't blame them. It's a pretty crappy thing to say after an event like this.

Regardless of Iran's stance on terror, it would have been so easy to take the high ground here. But nope, he goes out of his way to be a jerk. Classic Trump.

6. Scepticalscribe, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Iran considers it repugnant, - and, in this instance, - I will take how the victim views the incident over the perspective of anyone else.

But, two - sorry, three - other things are of relevance here. This did not occur in a vacuum but in a context.

The first is that one might give Mr Trump a pass if this tweet occurred in isolation and explain it away on the basis of the bizarre improbability that someone who holds such a high office should be so unusually unable to express themselves in statesmanlike language or even courteous language. (Staffing the State Dept adequately might be a start so that some of the norms and forms of classic diplomacy might be adhered to).

Secondly, there was his extraordinarily ungenerous - and downright nasty - series of tweets to and about the impressive, dignified (and Muslim) Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, after the London attacks of last week end.

Thirdly, there is his blatant and flagrant support for Saudi Arabia in its challenge for supremacy as a regional power which has taken the form of verbally attacking Iran before now, and this week alone - offering robust support to Saudi Arabia as they attempt to isolate Qatar.

Actually, in line with the tone of bullying narcissism he takes elsewhere, I see this as Mr Trump having to suppress - not entirely successfully - a desire to gloat at Iran's misfortune.

7. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

For the most part I don't disagree. This is comes in a long line of "repugnant" responses to terrorist attacks around the world, not to mention other issues.

He very well may be gloating in Irans misfortune, but I don't quite see it as "justification" or "endorsement" as the OP suggested. More than anything I think he criticizes others in their moments of weakness in order to build himself up- or as you said, Bully. It makes him feel he has power hahaha

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

meh, he basically said "play stupid games/win stupid prizes".
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2017 ---
    you are going to hurt some feelings around here with that common sense :p

9. VulchR, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I have to say this: for once I think a statement coming out of the Trump WH makes sense. Iran has promoted terrorism, and as sad as this incident is, what goes around comes around. That is not a justification of terrorism. It is a statement about cause and effect.

As for Trump's subsequent tweet, my prediction is the first treat was composed by a sane WH staff member and the latter came from Trump directly.

10. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Ehh Iran doesn't like Trump, I'm not too surprised.

Although I will admit I laughed at the second sentence: "We underscore that states that sponsor terrorism risk falling victim to the evil they promote." But let that be a lesson learned to everyone on PRSI. Don't sponsor terrorism attacks, they will backfire 100%.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it's ironic because it applies to us as well, we have armed rebels that have turned their arms against us.

12. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

The subsequent tweet (in post #3) is from June 2016 :p
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2017 ---
    Now we wait for his tweets -

"I was just informed that the US also funded terrorism. This is wrong, wrong, wrong. Starting now, we are pulling out all funding to terrorist organizations immediately and returning that money to the American people!"

(Apologies, I haven't mastered the Trump dialect.)

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Oops. :oops:

14. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I don't see him stating they are justified. I see him stating the obvious which is that it couldn't have happened to a more poetic target. I will agree with you though in that it really didn't need said. Just another example of where less is more and I hope eventually Trump learns the power of saying nothing in certain instances. Silence is way more effective at times.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Are you talking foreign or domestic.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

both, Obama admin let the Cartels get guns and those guns ended up back in the U.S resulting in the death of a border patrol agent. so our GOVT goes full retard both abroad and domestically.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Our gun problems go all the way back to our founding fathers. Guns have always been too easy to acquire.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

we have laws in place and the Obama administration let those laws be bypassed, hell he CHANGED existing law on arming terrorist so he could,,,,,,,,,,,arm them. so your deflection is noted.

19. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Be that as it may...there's a time and a place. This was neither.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You're reading too much into it. It's similar to saying if you play with fire you might get burned.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Didn't Reagan arm a bunch of them in the 80's.

22. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

I'm not disputing that...OTOH, saying that phrase while standing in the burn ward of the children's hospital might not be the most tactful thing for a POTUS.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

yes, and he should have been jailed for it.

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

He's addressing adults. The statement has merit, not just to Iran but to other Countries as well.