Staten Island Apple Store voided my warrenty on my white Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GodWhomIsMike, Mar 21, 2012.

1. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

I had the last generation White Macbook, and I upgraded the ram to 8GB.

It worked from May 2010 to about a week and a half ago.

I swapped hard drives, ram, and still was getting plagued with gray screen messages.

I called Apple, and had to wait 5 days to drop off the machine.

They held it then for 3 days, and then called me to pick it up. Told me they are not fixing it because I installed 8GB of ram in there, their determination was that the 8GB of ram was the reason the machine broke and they refuse to fix it.

WTF?!?!?!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Installation of user-installable parts such as RAM does not void the Apple Warranty or the AppleCare Protection Plan, unless you damage something in the process. The RAM you installed is not covered, but the rest of your Mac is. If you damaged something while installing it, that would void your warranty or AppleCare. If you didn't, take it to another store.

3. saggel macrumors regular

and first install the old memory back ;)
    just in case!

4. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

Install original RAM and HDD and then take it to a different Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Just don't come to MacXprts here in Columbia, MO. They suck big shlong. Took in my fiancees Black Macbook last week to have the top case replaced because of chipping(Free btw :D) Well I sent my fiancee out to pick it up when they told us it was done. She brought it home with out testing it at the store. It would not turn on at all. They did not test the unit before they released it for pick up. :mad::mad::mad::mad: I took it in Monday to have them take a look. They would not look at it on the spot, I had to leave it for a few days. wtf.

5. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

I am not sure, but I think 8GB is too much for that version of macbook.

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I believe Apple states that 4GB is recommended.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's more than the MacBook will use, but it shouldn't "break" anything. The excess will simply be ignored.
    That model can use up to 6GB.

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I could see however where Apple could bail on it as it's a bit of a grey area. Clearly changed beyond Apples recommended specs and they can't be expected to support something outside their recommendations. Voiding warranty entirely tho? A stretch.

Put 4gb or less in and take it to a different store would be my call.

9. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

4 or 6 GBs is still recommended you went 8! It's just something that overloads the recommended ram. Even in a PC it's not recommend. They should not have voided your warranty, but upgrades have to be done to spec, otherwise damage to the machine is entirely in your hands. Try taking the memory out, and getting it to another store, they may not have sent out void records.

10. funkdoctor macrumors member

The final white Macbook (Macbook 7,1) WILL take and WILL use all 8gb of installed RAM. Yes, Apple recommends 4gb but he is not "overloading the recommended ram".

11. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

This man speaks the truth.

I am using the last gen white MacBook (7,1 I think) and two weeks ago I upgraded it to 8GB ram. Typing on it now and she's running perfectly without any issues at all! :cool:

Not that I need to say it as others already have: Take it to another iStore and get it looked at.

User replacing the ram does not void the warranty - it even shows you how to do it in the manual. Secondly, 'overloading the machine with too much RAM' - what crack are you guys smoking, because I want some!