States 1 Online Retailers 0

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

The Supreme court ruled today that states can now force online retailers to collect sales tax on purchases even though the online retailer does not have a physical presence in the state.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/su...equire-online-retailers-collect-sales-n873416

Prices will be going up for purchases online because of the overhead cost for calculating the tax on each purchase (40000+) different tax laws. This will be on top of the tax cost which many were able to avoid in the past.

If online prices go up, will you do more shopping in the local brick and mortar stores ?

2. samcraig macrumors P6

No because I shop online for convenience. And if I buy locally, I'm still going to pay taxes. I do agree that this will hurt/disrupt the online ecosystem.

3. Videomanmac Suspended

Videomanmac

I just saw that on CNBC! I'm not sure how this will play out. Amazon already collects sales tax on products in the majority of states, so Amazon users likely won't see a difference, but eBay, etsy, etc likely won't see one either. It's a cost of doing business.

I still won't go to brick and mortar.

4. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

I read somewhere that Amazon collect taxes for Amazon products but not necessarily on products sold by third party vendors in the Amazon marketplace.

In any case, the Amazon prices should be higher due to the overhead of tax calculation.

On the plus side, it removes any disincentive for Amazon and any other online retailer of placing a physical store in any of the states.

5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Why not? (curious)

6. Videomanmac Suspended

Videomanmac

Too lazy to drive there.

7. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

I don’t believe it will hurt online retailers. brick and mortar stores will eventually catch up, but Amazon’s huge advantage is they are an immense online department store. Stores like Walmart and maybe Sears if they are not yet defunct will also have this advantage over speciality retailers. This IS the future. And I can understand why States want to maintain tax revenue. What online has is Convienence with a Capitol C. The last thing I want to do these days is drive around town looking for something.

This is not to imply I no longer shop locally, I do, but usually I never travel out searching for something. I verify availability first. And yes, sometimes the local retailer has a better price than Amazon and many other times an online retailer has the distinct advantage.

I mentioned this before in my Amazon Effect thread, a while back I went looking for swim trunks for lap swimming and visited 3 big box stores that only had casual trunks or skimpy Speedos. When I needed batteries for my cordless phones, the Battery’s Plus store could get them for me in a week, versus Amazon in 2days. no Contest!

8. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I would pay the tax and shop online. I live in the ATL metro area, where the less driving you have to do, the better off you are.

9. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

I only ever goto actual stores when i need groceries. I typically only visit HEB. I try to avoid Walmart at all costs and pretty much buy all my stuff from Amazon. I also get essentially a 5% off on all Amazon purchases through a cash back card.

10. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

Wouldn't you get 5% cash back from any vendor where you use your card ?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 21, 2018 ---
    For the last two years or so when I shop, I browse online before buying while I used to automatically go to Amazon. Even brick and mortar stores now have good websites where you can search for products and determine their availability and cost.

What I have found is that Amazon is the leader in availability but no longer has the best prices in most cases. I probably only order 20% - 25% of my purchases from Amazon now while the the largest percentage of orders are from the local brick and mortar stores.

The exception would be Kindle books and shopping at Christmas (no desire to be fighting the crowds).

11. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

The only reason I don't shop in brick and mortar stores now is because they don't have what I'm looking for, and I can usually find something I want used online, and for cheaper than it would be in stores.

This will help bring states some additional income, but it won't do anything to help brick and mortar stores.

12. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

It's a specific Chase/Amazon rewards card. It provides 3% points for gas/groceries and then 1% for anything else. However anything from Amazon is at the max level of reward.

13. tshrimp, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

And gas costs money, so still less expensive online. I do admit, I like to buy local when I can to support them. But, I am not always successful in that endeavor. Buying online is just so much less of a hassle. No one cuts me off on the way to the online store, and this also saves me the possibility of straining my middle finger. No one dings your door on your one day old truck and fails to leave a note at an online store. I don't get confused what bathroom to use when I shop online. No waiting inline for the next available register. No having to go back to my car because they do not allow me to take my gun inside. No temptation to stop and get a Slurpee on the way home.

14. Videomanmac Suspended

Videomanmac

You forgot the most important one: No chance of seeing other people.

15. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

This is going to hurt small businesses, the one or two mom and pop type people or small shops who sell own made things online. For example, I use to make fishing lures and sell them online. I developed my own website using a cart system, in that system, adding a new state tax rule is relatively simple BUT remitting the tax to 50 possible states is a PITA! Just remitting to my own state was about a 15 minute process using their online system and then updating my accounting. This is coming from a person who is very geeky and proficient at doing this type of thing. In less experienced hands and let’s be honest, a majority when it comes to this type of scenario and then times it by 50, it’s a 2 day minimal process of time lost doing this new chore.

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I wonder with the gradual death of brick and mortar stores how the country is going to cope with a **** load of no skill labor who can't find a job.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

I'm not worried because Trump told me he's creating millions of jobs and making America great again... :/

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Not in retail.

Too bad Sanders will be dead by the time this happens, they would have had a guaranteed salary by way of birth rite.

19. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Good. I did hear on the radio this morning that there were more jobs available now then people on unemployment. This is a great thing.

20. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

LMAO. Seen too many at Walmart already.

21. Strider64 macrumors 6502a

Strider64

I never had a problem with States collecting sales tax. My major gripe of my state (Michigan) was on their tax returns where a line stated on the form `during the past year what was your total online purchases`. I am not going go through all my purchases that I made during the year (Heck I don't even keep the sales receipt even if it's online) and figure out which ones I didn't pay the state sales tax, for that is the online retailer's responsibility. From a developer's point-of-view I really don't see the difficulty in automatically calculating the state's sale tax for online purchases.

22. ThisIsNotMe Suspended

Don't understand the issue.
    You are legally required to pay sales tax on your state income tax form if you buy something out of state and sales tax isn't collected. This just shifts the burden from the consumer to the distributor.

23. americafirst Suspended

americafirst

Where is that tax money going if the retailer has no physical presence in the state
    No because I prefer the convenience of shopping online and knowing my package will be there for me when I get off work
    Sane here
    That traffic is terrible
    Who actually lists what they purchased out of state when they are filing their state income tax

24. ThisIsNotMe Suspended

Not getting my ass audited.

25. americafirst Suspended

americafirst

I am not against this if everything is streamlined and the states get the money