States refraining from abstinence-only sex education

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well. We're used to criticizing Ohio, but it looks like the new sheriff in town (Democratic Gov. Ted Strickland) is doing something smart.

Boston Globe

That last part, of course, is completely disingenuous. No state that I know of is forbidding teaching abstinence; they are only advocating teaching other methods as well.

2. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

All public schools should be requires to teach a comprehensive sex education that is mandatory for all students over the age of 14. The sex ed program should include proper condom use, proper usage and facts about other contraceptives. Schools should assist students in being able to obtain condoms, birth control pills, emergency contreceptives, and other forms of birth control. However, schools should teach that adstinence is perfectly normal and is the only 100% way to protect against STD's. The reason this should be mandatory is in the intrest of public health. Teens are going to have sex wether you want them too or not. Afre people so naive as to think that Teens take the abstince only education seriously? Trust me teens will find ways to have sex and completly ignore the abstince only BS. Dosent the government realize that the abstinence program has failed miserabuly?

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

So if kids aren't having sex, and don't want to have sex, then why is she concerned with giving them all sorts of educational materials on not having sex.

They're not the ones we need to "worry" about, right?

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I have always been amazed how some people support the notion that pretending something does not exist will make it go away. Unfortunately, this seems to be the basis for many conservative policy decisions. Ignore reality, create a program which has zero chance of succeeding, pass federal laws to punish any offenders and create a whole new class of criminal.

I was listening to a classic rock FM station awhile back. They were playing "Don't bogart that joint my friend". They cut-out so much of the song, I wondered why they even tried to play it. This has no direct bearing on the topic, but is just another example of how a powerful minority completely misses the boat; do not let kids know about things and they will not do them. Right.....

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Crazy idea that kids should know how to be safe *before* they actually have sex... :rolleyes: P.S. can we move drivers' education to, say, age 25, with licenses given out at 18?

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

My point being that if kids are already abstaining, sex ed on abstinence seems wasted on them.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, I agree, well, sort of. I was just embellishing that point with the observation that, of kids not having sex, some will continue to not want to have sex, and some will have sex. It's beneficial to teach the latter group safe sex skills before they have sex. It might possibly also be beneficial to explicitly respect / encourage the decision of those currently abstaining. That's a different ballgame than trying to use education to inspire abstinence in kids who *do* want to have sex.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

heh heh.

then maybe we can ship soldiers to iraq before they're trained or armed.

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

Ah, yes. I do agree that teaching safe sex practices is important, regardless of if the students are currently having sex or not.

10. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I view abstinence only as religious intolerance. If the religious right, that is pushing for abstinence only, sees marriage as heterosexual only, then they are using their religion to deny education and rights to those who do not plan to marry or can not because they are not hetro.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Most people don't seem to realize you can opt out your children if you don't want them learning about sex. Of course, you could teach them about it your self, but I wonder if the same people who want to opt out don't want to discuss it with their kids.

I knew a couple of people like that in high school. One of them was really screwed up. The other got pregnant Junior year.

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"The other got pregnant Junior year."

That's 'cause she got in the back seat, or didn't keep one foot on the floor.

:D, 'Rat