States to try to keep Trump off ballot

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

2. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

You do understand why it didn't seem like a good thing with the birth certificate thing, considering it was made for a guy who had a birth certificate. Just that some secretary of state's didn't care for that particular birth certificate or the state issuing it saying he had one. It just wasn't a good look, so not good a republican governor vetoed it's attempt in one state.

3. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

If it's one thing Republicans hate, it's the popular vote I'll give you that. Majority my ass, give me gerrymandering and the EC anytime (as long as it works for MY guy, otherwise, gloves are off).

4. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, but at least with the BC it was based on one of the actual requirements to be President.

5. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

No. No it wasn't. It was based on something else completely. After all, the guy who 'inspired' the requirement, did have a birth certificate. As I said, even some republicans or those on the right, didn't back the requirement.

6. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Oh I think the incumbent president of the USA should be on every state's ballot. Donald Trump is currently the President of all Americans in all states even if he only talks to Fox TV hosts and his base at rallies.

But he's the President of all of us, and about 60% of us give or take a few points are dying to turn out in 2020 and tell him hey don't let the door hit your behind on your way out.

We need to have that opportunity, and have it be clear that we had a choice and made it.

7. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

I disagree. There is a legal requirement to be a citizen. Production of a BC can satisfy that requirement. Now I get why it was done, but at least it was based on one of the statutory requirements.

This is based on ...... well not really sure what requirement it is based on.

8. Altis macrumors 68030

Eh, think it's all that different from 'First Past The Post' parliaments?

We get "Majority" governments with 39% of the vote, such as the case with the current Liberal Party.

9. raqball macrumors 68000

Feelings? I personally think its hilarious and just more wackiness from the left...

10. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

You guys had two years with both Houses of Congress and the WH, you have nobody but yourselves to blame for losing the House.

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

No, it was inspired by something known as birtherism. Interestingly enough ( actually sadly ironic ) by the man who would be affected by the requirement to show tax returns. The requirement to show a birth certificate wasn't a requirement ever before, or even considered a norm. While releasing tax returns became the norm when the last president resistant to showing his tax returns, turned out to be guilty of tax evasion. Since the 70's other presidents didn't seem to have an issue maintaining the norm, even while they are of course audited. It's just this factually challenged president that has an issue with the norm.

The president that did inspire the birth certificate requirement, did show his birth certificate. As noted though, it wasn't just liberals with an issue of the birth certificate requirement, to the point a very right leaning republican governor vetoed such an attempt.

12. Altis macrumors 68030

"You guys" --- you realize I'm in Canada, right? Hence my post about how parliamentary systems often get the same kind of result?

Did you even read my post? o_O

13. raqball, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019

raqball macrumors 68000

Here on PRSI if you are not far left then you are assumed to be a foaming at the mouth - MAGA apparel wearing - die hard Trump supporter.. C'mon man, you should know this... :p

14. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

While the assumption maybe wrong, the foaming maybe not so much...

15. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

You have to wonder at what point they’ve sold all their core beliefs to defend such a horrible man. I personally know some older Republicans who are disgusted by Trump and how he represents them.

16. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Well we had Hillary or Donald ....

Yep. A whole lot of reasonable choices ... :D

17. Zenithal macrumors G3

And those two probably slept together at some point.

18. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Agreed here!

19. appleisking macrumors 6502a

This whole tax return Hail Mary needs to seriously stop. And I say this as someone who would absolutely love to see Trump’s ass lose spectacularly in 2020.