Statesman Rubio?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by throwthedice, Mar 12, 2016.

1. throwthedice macrumors regular

Didn't think Rubio had it in him. Granted I don't agree with him on many things, but that was some interview. He came across as very statesman like in the interview and he seems absolutely spot on about Trump and his supporters, the press' role in this election cycle. Excellent interview IMO.

Thoughts on this interview?
    [apologies if this is being discussed in one of the million Trump threads]

2. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Sure, Rubio and Cruz are finally speaking up and calling out Trump for encouraging violence but only because it is politically convenient to do so. Nothing more than a political calculation and a last ditch effort.

3. Robisan macrumors 6502

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Certainly an upgrade from when he and Trump were acting like naughty school children.

Whatever his motivation (and doubtless he meant to be compared favorably to Trump while speaking in that press conference), Rubio was speaking the truth there. It didn't seem especially partisan to me either. There's blame to go around regarding the ugliness of American divisiveness in 2016, and he correctly indicated that that lies on both sides of the aisle, but what he said about Trump's total disregard for the consequences of intemperate speech was right on.

When Trump campaigns for office by egging on the worst of our attitudes towards each other, he shows himself completely unsuited for high elective office. Rubio's right: as a potential President of the USA, you can't just go on and say whatever you like, or be seen as condoning violent interactions between political opponents. And he's right to say it's not about being politically correct, but about having a care for the consequences of speech.

5. throwthedice thread starter macrumors regular

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

While Rubio is to be congratulated for finally speaking out about the toxic nature of Trump's rhetoric; for me it strikes me as a bit too little, too late, and larded with attempts to shove off responsibility for this mess on Barack Obama and "the media." Too bad he didn't show a little statesmanship during the Republican debates, rather than responding to Trump's snark with his own gybes about small hands.

Rubio is clearly coming to grips with the fact that his campaign is nearly out of chances. Which may have prompted him to find his conscience, at long last.

But the blame for this mess lies not with Barack Obama or the news directors at CNN and ABC; or the editors of the New York Times or CBS Evening News. The blame lies squarely within the Republican Party itself. For stoking racial divisions with its cynical "Southern Strategy" for two generations. If struggling white people in America are angry, its because they've ginned on to the fact that giving billionaires more tax breaks hasn't made them any better off. It hasn't saved their jobs. Neither has wasting time stopping poor women from getting abortions or basic healthcare. Neither has their obsession with guns.

If Rubio really wanted to show a Profile In Courage, he'll go on Fox News today or tomorrow, and state unequivocally that if Donald Trump is the Republican Nominee - then he will not only not support him, but he will do everything he can to prevent Trump's election as President.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

First Rubio probably has to do as well as possible in Florida. I mean there's courage and then there's political suicide. He has probably come as close as he can right now to disavowing support of Trump in the event Trump is the nominee.

Anything harsher from Rubio on that subject might sound like he's also disavowing Reince Priebus' pronouncement during last week that "of course" the GOP will support whoever is its nominee. The head of the RNC can afford to utter what may be a falsehood in the end, but Rubio can't really afford to cross that line unless the party first erases it.

So Rubio would seem to have the luxury (or responsibility) of letting the RNC figure out if and when it's time for the whole party to tell Mr. Trump to shut the lights off when he takes what's left of the GOP down the rabbit hole since the rest of them are leaving early.

That's assuming the RNC doesn't figure a way to stave off Trump becoming the nominee. Their arcane rules for 2016 leave a fair amount of room. No telling how the delegates may vote as more are released from their pledges in subsequent rounds of floor voting at the convention. I more wonder what will happen if Trump does rack up enough delegates ahead of the convention to warrant the nomination. There's always the nuclear option -- to bust the thing wide open by changing rules on freedoms of pledged delegates in the current season. I bet TV honchos are looking to loosen their schedules for the possibility of airing much much more of conventions than in recent years.

I'd agree Rubio is looking to repair his image for future political endeavors. His main job now is take what's left of his possibly short time in this season's spotlight to emphasize a Presidential demeanor for another go later on, if he can't end up on the ballot this time. At any rate he seems to realize he can't be rolling around in the mud in a childish fashion again, no matter the provocation. That episode cost him a lot but it doesn't seem like a mortal wound.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, if Rubio really was a Profiles in Courage sorta guy, we wouldn't have gotten to this point in the first place. I do agree with you, however, that its probably unrealistic to expect him to break with Republican orthodoxy ahead of the Florida contest.

The reality is that apart from one thing most of the Republican establishment would probably prefer a Hillary Clinton Presidency than a Donald Trump one. Clinton in the White House would, in their calculations, be constrained in what she might do on taxes, immigration, the environment, etc. Donald Trump, however, would be much more of a wildcard. Its much tougher for them to orchestrate lockstep opposition to populist nonsense if the person in the Oval Office has an R after his name. We've already seen defections from people like Chris Christie.

The major downside for establishment Republicans of a Trump Presidency is the all-but inevitable disaster it is going to create for US international credibility. Investors in London and Shanghai; and foreign leaders from Moscow to Pyongyang - don't like unpredictable loose cannons.

The one thing that I alluded to earlier is the Nomination of at least one, and probably two or three Supreme Court Justices. Establishment Republicans are going to have to accept the fact that a Clinton Presidency will leave the Supreme Court with a likely liberal/centrist majority for the coming decades. Would a Trump Presidency ensure a conservative majority on the Supreme Court? Possibly.. but not
    definitely. Trump is too much of a wild card. He has too much history of dabbling with liberal causes like abortion to take that bet to the bank.

People like the Koch Brothers didn't get to be billionaires by taking too many bad bets.

Interesting, but also scary, times we live in.

9. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The faux outrage the left is drumming up while they troll rallies to start violent conflicts is laughable. They must be scared.

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I don't know why people are really thinking it's just Rubio.